2017 Eagle Graduates Leave the Nest

Horizon Honors class of 2017 recently graduated, so here’s a play-by-play of how the ceremony went, as well as the numbers of where they’re heading.

Haylee Haupt, Columnist

On May 30, 2017, the class of 2017 of Horizon Honors High School gathered with their loved ones for one of the moment they’ve been waiting for since they started school: graduation. The ceremony started with the teachers in their own cap and gowns walking to their seats. Then, the crowd, still standing, watched the graduating seniors walk in, backed by the traditional song “Pomp and Circumstance.” Once every senior got to their designated spots, the audience stayed standing to say the Pledge of Allegiance, led by senior Evan Gunderson, the Class of 2017 Salutatorian. Everyone then sat and watched the first 19 video presentations of commencement speakers. It then transitioned to the Valedictory Address from Ross Wilson. When he concluded his speech, we continued to watch the next 23 videos. Horizon Honors’ Cantabile Honors Chorale then sang “On Eagle’s Wings,” as per tradition. After the performance, the last of the videos were shown. Cantabile then went up once again to perform senior Joey Vitagliano’s arrangement of “On My Way” by Phil Collins. Finally, the moment came. The seniors were alphabetically called up to receive their diplomas, returned to their seats, and launched their caps into the air. Everyone in the room scattered to congratulate the newly graduated seniors, and the ceremony was complete.

Below is a breakdown of how many students are going to certain colleges. Make sure to check out The Horizon Sun’s College Map here.

Arizona State University:

23

Northern Arizona University:

12

University of Arizona:

9

Grand Canyon University:

6

Other Arizona Colleges:

24

Out-of-State Colleges:

14

Workforce/Gap Year:

3

Military:

1

While it may be sad to say goodbye to this year’s seniors, it makes it easier to bid adieu when we know that they’re moving on to bigger and better things. Congratulations, seniors!