MacAlpines Diner and Soda Fountain is attempting to reopen after the pandemic.
Historic Phoenix Diner Makes Effort to Reopen
Mateo Olmos, Columnist • April 19, 2024

One of Phoenix's oldest diners and soda fountains, called MacAlpines, is trying to reopen for the first...

Hiram Grayam was killed in 1968.
1968 Killing of a Milkman Solved 56 Years Later
Joey Miller, Columnist • April 19, 2024

A Florida milkman by the name of Hiram "Ross" Grayam didn’t return home one night after his rounds....

Charles Leclercs new ice cream will be available in Italian stores.
Lec Ice Cream
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Charles Leclerc, a well known and highly successful Monegasque F1 driver, has recently created an ice...

Arizona abortion law has gone back in time.
Arizona’s New 160-Year-Old Abortion Law
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 19, 2024

Since the overturning of Roe v. Wade in 2022, many states have faced new abortion laws; Arizona is the...

The Bayer Leverkusen team celebrating their title with a cardboard cutout of the Bundesliga trophy.
Bayer Leverkusen Wins Historic First Bundesliga Title
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 19, 2024

On Sunday, April 14, 2024, a match between two top flight German soccer teams Bayer 04 Leverkusen and...

Several popular horror video games.
Horror’s Ability to Possess People
Jet Taft, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Horror, since the concept's creation, has captivated many. The spooky atmospheres, the thrill of adrenaline...

Biden announces his cancellation of student debt.
Biden Unveils New Student Loan Forgiveness Plan
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • April 19, 2024

On April 12, President Joe Biden announced that he would be canceling the debt of 277,000 borrowers....

Not A Band, A Family

It is far too rare to hear high school students, particularly seniors, chat excitedly about their first class of the morning. The 2009-2010 Honors Symphonic Band, however, has had an overwhelming majority of its members buzzing with a vocalized fervor since the beginning of the school year. Aside from the benefits of involvement in the most advanced group in Horizon’s instrumental branch of the Performing Arts Department (such as the upcoming trip to California & the staggering amount of inside jokes), something much more nebulous and meaningful has bound this group together. Perhaps it has to do with the nature of music, itself.

“Music has, at least to me, always been something that I view as being so plainly a part of my being. To play an instrument really is to become one with an instrument. It becomes an extension of you. The act of breathing through and drawing sounds out of the instrument is, essentially, living through your instrument,” explains Mr. Brian Murphy, Director of Bands at Horizon, a slight and unavoidable grin overtaking him.

This notion rings with the clearest truth in the heart of nearly every Horizon instrumentalist. The shared Symphonic Band experience has metamorphosed into something so much more than merely playing instruments in a group; going to Band every morning means coming alive together, a collective of musicians. Doubtless, this means something pure and extremely beautiful to Symphonic Band members, but what does this have to do with the rest of you?

You must understand that Band is a profound example of the whole being more than the sum of its parts.  However, the students involved in Symphonic Band have chosen to continually search for the deeper essence of what it is that they do and, therefore, have found its true beauty. I believe I speak for all of these people when I say that coming to a thorough understanding of what it means to be a band kid is not only liberating, but nothing short of life-altering.

The true spirit of whatever you choose to do, as long as you do it with authenticity and honesty, is something just as beautiful as that of instrumental music. I implore every one of you to seek the absolute core of whatever it is that you love, and immerse yourselves in it.

The Symphonic Band has done this and has become so much more than a group of fifty-some-odd musicians.  It has become a family, a family that meets together five mornings every week and shares its insides with every person involved, most of the time without saying a word. This is the kind of beautiful coexistence that can occur between a troupe of eclectic and otherwise entirely unrelated people. This is the kind of experience that Horizon is about, learning to do something you love with other people who love it just as much as you do, with other people whom you come to love just as much as that something that you are learning to do.