The Beginning Of The End Of The Beginning

Photo Courtesy of Alexa Geidel

It’s time for me to be Editor-In-Chief of my own life. Senior year, here I come.

Alexa Geidel, Editor-In-Chief

My four years of high school each have their own chapter in my autobiography. The working title for the senior year one (you’ll have to buy the book to get the rest) is The Beginning Of The End Of The Beginning. The fourth will by far be the most impressive; an enthralling tale of glory as told by the girl who began so elated it was impossible to pin her down.

So this will serve as a sort of preface to that fourth chapter. So without further ado, I present to you, The Beginning Of The End Of The Beginning.

As of right now, I’m wedged on a plane between a taciturn aspiring writer who seemed offended when I asked to get out to use the restroom and my mother, somehow dozing comfortably on this cramped contraption. I am on my way to Raleigh, North Carolina – stop numero uno on my east-coast college tour extravaganza. It seems funny that in a little more than a year, I could be back on a 737-700 embarking on my true college experience. Who knows.

Honestly, all I know right now is how I want my Instagram post staged on the first day of school. On my last first day at my home for the past 14 years.

Okay, okay, so maybe I know a few other certainties, but at the angle by which I’m gazing right now, my crystal ball is still partly cloudy.

But it really is the beginning of the end of the beginning. I’m about to enlist myself into the last step of my nearly-past.

This year is my time to untie my ropes from the dock, to get my ticket stamped, and to put my seat back and tray table in upright and locked position. In 175 short days more of secondary education I must prepare myself for takeoff. If that doesn’t scare the peanuts and canned water out of me, I don’t know what will.

Nonetheless, I feel confident that I have a star-studded team behind me to ensure this year goes seamlessly. I’m prepared to say every word I need to and do everything I to do before I leave – this is my last chance afterall.

This year will be more crucial than ever for me to be on my best behavior. Last year, I was able to begin practicing methods of productivity that shot me to the top of my game. Now, my higher-ups are taking notice and giving me privileges that aren’t just handed to the 14-year vets. I’ve gained a professional respect for myself that is evidently hard to ignore.

They say a goose (*cough* eaglet) cannot lay a golden egg with everyone watching but this gosling is prepared to present the audience with a whole carton-full.