Girls’ Basketball Heating Up Summer League

Horizon Honors continued their summer league competition with a varsity girls’ basketball game against Leading Edge Academy.

SL+Basketball

Photo Courtesy of Zach Asato

On Wednesday, Jun. 3, 2015, the Horizon Honors Varsity Girls’ Basketball team played against Leading Edge Academy.

Jake Matise, Sports Editor

On Wednesday, June 3, at 6 p.m., Horizon Honors’ students and players gathered in the gym for a summer league varsity girls’ basketball game, as they played Leading Edge Academy. It was a hard-fought game, and ultimately the Eagles came out with a victory by a score of 36-24 in their favor.

In the first half, neither team started out overly strong, and the score went back and forth continuously. With some solid teamwork and good shooting, the Eagles tied the game over and over again whenever Leading Edge Academy would gain a small lead. The score remained close throughout the half, and it ended in an 11-11 draw.

In the second half, both teams made up for their slow start with many points being scored. Like the first half, the score remained close early on. Horizon Honors hit multiple three-point shots, and that was enough to give them the lead. The Eagles didn’t let up, and were able to secure a 36-24 victory.

The Eagles played well and were able to build a significant lead late in the second half. The summer league continues on as the varsity girls’ basketball team has a rematch with Leading Edge Academy, and faces Chandler Prep later in the evening. Many games are at Horizon Honors, so be sure to come out and support the team!