Raising Awareness Using School Spirit

Horizon Honors students wore different colored shirts to show their support for various causes.

Hannah Browning

Junior Alexa Page wore a shirt to raise awareness for breast cancer.

Hannah Browning, Campus Life Editor

On Thursday, Nov. 10, the students of Horizon Honors showed their support for causes that meant something to them. People at the school wore colors to raise awareness for specific causes. Many colors are commonly associated with a specific cause, such as pink for breast cancer, but many colors can represent multiple causes. These color associations come from Disabled World.

Most people know that pink is used to support breast cancer, but it is also used to raise awareness for birth parents, nursing mothers, breast reconstruction, or a mastectomy.

Teal is most commonly used for ovarian cancer, but it can also be worn to show support for quite a few other causes. It can show support for cervical cancer, food allergies, PTSD, knee injuries, anxiety disorder, and still many other causes.

Purple can support many causes as well. Students wearing purple were raising awareness for ADD, ADHD, epilepsy, Hodgkin’s lymphoma, Alzheimer’s disease, lupus, pancreatic cancer, domestic violence, eating disorders, and cystic fibrosis, along with more causes.

Orange was worn to recognize people with COPD, melanoma, multiple sclerosis, leukemia, kidney cancer, and some other issues. In addition to this, it also can be used to represent lupus and ADHD, just like purple.

Melanoma, sleep disorders, and 9/11 are all represented by the color black. It is used to raise awareness for disorders and the lives that were lost on Sept. 11, 2001.

Wearing navy blue shows support for colon cancer, Crohn’s disease, rectal cancer, arthritis, and alopecia, among other disorders.

Yellow is used to for suicide awareness and prevention, as well as bone cancer.

Gray is worn to recognize allergies, brain cancer, asthma, and is in some cases used to support diabetes.

Adrenocortical carcinoma is represented by rainbow colors, which is also used for gay pride and LGBTQ+ rights.

The students did an outstanding job showing their support for causes that are important to them.