Unforgettable Moment for Tom Brady

Tom Brady honors his mom, Galynn Brady, while winning his fifth Super Bowl.

Ethan Hurlburt, Columnist

Before last Sunday, Tom Brady’s mother, Galynn Brady, was battling cancer, going through radiation and chemotherapy, and Super Bowl LI was the first game she attended this season. Brady was uncharacteristically emotional and dedicated his performance at the Super Bowl to Galynn, as she’s one of his biggest fans, dating all the way back to when he played in high school.

She has attended every Super Bowl he has played in, but Super Bowl LI was certainly more of a challenge. Galynn is now 72, but she knew this game had meant a lot to him. Brady broke numerous records as a five-time Super Bowl Champion, as well as having the most Super Bowl appearances for a player.

“It’s been a challenging year for my family, just for some personal reasons,” Brady said earlier this week. “It’ll just be nice having everyone here watching us this weekend. That’s my mom and dad. They’ve been so supportive my entire life, it’s nice to be able to show them…to try to make them proud… My mom hasn’t been to a game this season. My dad has been to one. It’s very atypical.”

After winning the Super Bowl, Tom Brady shed some light on the subject. “She’s been through a lot. Way harder than what I went through Sunday night,” Brady said Monday morning. “My dad’s been there every step of the way. They set such a great example for me. All families go through challenging times personally, but she has a lot of love, a lot of support.”

Brady shared a photo with his parents on Instagram earlier this week with him and his father, Tom Brady, Sr., kissing Galynn on each cheek at the NRG Stadium in Houston. “Sandwich kiss for Mom at Picture Day!!! Go Pats!!!!” he captured his photo, with the whole family rocking Patriots gear.