Valley Leadership 2018’s Youth Program

Allyssa Gauer, Columnist

The Valley Leadership 2018’s Youth Program gives students a chance to work with a new environment  that will continue to develop and advance leadership qualities. All across Arizona, a variety of schools participate in the Valley Leadership Youth Program to learn how to help the community, and use this information to start donation drives and organizations to improve the surrounding issues.

The Valley Leadership Youth Program is comprised of an assembly of high school students from a vast assortment of schools. Last year there were a total of 17 schools represented and 30 students, according to Valley Leadership. Once registered in this event, students will learn about the importance of philanthropy through activities and tasks that will dare them to go beyond anticipations and become a true leader. With their high expectations, the Valley Leadership leaders hope for more students to step forward and take on this challenge.

The main purpose of this company is to change the community for the better. Past students have raised approximately $8,000 for non-profit organizations, such as the United Sound, Act One, Cancer Support Community Arizona, and the Girls Rule Foundation. Valley Leadership states that after the completion of the three workshops and the awards ceremony, the participants were asked “I am a philanthropist because I…” and the rest was up to them. There were many different answers, mainly including statements about helping the community or making a positive impact on society.

Not only does this help the surrounding district, but it also improves one’s leadership. To start off, many of the establishments created aid the weak, stand up for beliefs of the students, or raise money for a cause. For example, Neighbors Who Care was started to help the disabled in the area, and although it was not influenced by students, this provides the inspiration of endless possibilities when designing a campaign. This also creates a foundation for leadership, as implied in Valley Leadership. They simply want to unleash the skills necessary to thrive in humanity, and taking charge and acting as a good role model is one of the skills to achieve.

Some upcoming dates to know are Saturday, March 17 (first workshop); Saturday, March 24; and Saturday, April 23; all from 9 a.m. to noon, and the Grant Ceremony is hosted on Tuesday, May 1, from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.. To register, simply go to their website, click register, and fill out the information listed. This program has many benefits that help develop one’s skills, encouraging students to be their best self.