An employee at the Target forensics lab in classic Target uniform.
The Target Forensics Lab
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 11, 2024

Target, just like many other retailers, has fallen victim to shoplifters, with almost a billion dollars...

Israeli protests stirred debate over Netanyahus position.
Israeli Citizens Demand a Ceasefire
Ethan Fulton, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Israeli citizens stormed central Jerusalem on Sunday, March 31 in the largest anti-government protest...

A cow.
Animals and People Across the Country Catch Bird Flu
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Across the United States, farm animals such as cows and chickens have been testing positive for a disease...

Ukrainian forces survey damage.
Republican Rep. Confident Ukraine Aid Will Make It to House Floor
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • April 5, 2024

Rep. Mike Lawler (R-NY) said in a recent CNN “State of the Union” interview that he was confident...

The finished product.
Blissful Brookies
Matthew Greco, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Cookies are amazing. You can put anything in them. Brownies are chocolatey goodness. They’re always...

Dan Schneider hugs a cast member.
Nickelodeon’s Dark Side
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Dan Schneider, director of many of the older Nickelodeon shows like “iCarly,” “The Amanda Show!,”...

There were three racers who did not finish the race.
Australian Grand Prix 2024 Summed Up
Matthew Greco, Columnist • March 28, 2024

The Australian Grand Prix which took place over two days has just come to a close. This article covers...

Lincoln Review

Adaptation of photograph by Gamma Man, available under a Creative Commons

Attribution license. Copyright © 2009 Gamma Man  November 8, 2012.
Adaptation of photograph by Gamma Man, available under a Creative Commons Attribution license. Copyright © 2009 Gamma Man November 8, 2012.

Lincoln, released on November 16, revolves around the time period near the end of the Civil War. President Abraham Lincoln was just re-elected as President, and he was trying to pass the 13th Amendment, which would abolish slavery. The struggles and triumphs of Lincoln, both personal and political, are what this movie emphasizes. The film was directed by Steven Spielberg, and stars Daniel Day-Lewis, Sally Field, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

Lincoln is more than just a history documentary;  it is a journey into the life and mindset of the president. It begins shortly after the Battle of Gettysburg, as Lincoln is sitting in front of a camp of fighters, congratulating the soldiers on their great effort in the fight. As the movie progressed, Lincoln was revealed to be very human. His struggles regarding the war, his presidency, the 13th Amendment, and tension within his family were all balanced beautifully and given adequate time to develop and play out. The majority of the cast were perfect replications of their historical counterparts, and the cinematography was gorgeous. Anyone can become completely absorbed into the story line of this film, as it relates somewhat to the struggles of today, and the background music does a lot to aid this. I barely noticed the music was there; that is, until it went away.

This is not a typical movie. Most movies that you see involve a good portion of fiction; there is always something made up. A good portion of those movies are great. The difference with Lincoln that often turns people away is that it is a nonfiction tale. However, this does not change the fact that it is a great and entertaining film. You don’t need to be a historian to enjoy the film, but an interest in the time period makes the viewing experience that much richer. Needless to say, it’s not hard to enjoy watching Lincoln.