Girls’ Soccer battles Valley Christian with close game

Senior Zoe Lockwood battles for possession of the ball. Horizon Honors lost the game against Valley Christian with a final score of 2-3.

Kelleigh Hogan, Editor-in-Chief

The Horizon Honors girls’ soccer team played against Valley Christian at home on Jan. 14, with three wins out of their previous seven games. Although they lost, the Horizon Honors girls were neck and neck with Valley Christian’s team.

The first half consisted of mostly passing up and down the field by both teams. There were several good plays by the Horizon Honors including a recovery by freshman Karolina Grgurovic. However, the Valley Christian girls scored two different times. There were attempted goals by both teams and a great block by the Horizon Honors girls. The half ended 2 – 0.

The second half was eventful with a couple of tremendous plays by Horizon Honors’ team. The first goal by the Horizon Honors girls was on a corner kick. However, after several plays up and down the field, Valley Christian scored making it 3 – 1. There were several penalties on both teams. The Horizon Honors team kept the Valley Christian defenders busy with many attempted goals. Sophomore Brogan Taylor scored the second goal for Horizon Honors. As the fans cheered, the Horizon Honors girls attempted to tie the score. However, the Horizon Honors girls were unable to score as Valley Christian blocked their attempts at a goal. The Horizon Honors girls lost to Valley Christian with a final score of 2 – 3.

“It was super close! I think the girls really played their hardest though, and that’s what counts,” sophomore Anna Jacobs commented after the game. The girls’ season record is now 3 – 5. However, Grgurovic has a positive outlook: “We have such an amazing group of girls which I love dearly and I’m thrilled to be on such a brilliant team.”

Photo credit: Kelleigh Hogan © 2014

Photo credit: Kelleigh Hogan © 2014

Photo credit: Kelleigh Hogan © 2014

Photo credit: Kelleigh Hogan © 2014

Photo credit: Kelleigh Hogan © 2014