Reasoning for Writing

Students write for their speech and debate class. This writing is required, not for their own entertainment.

Ryan Deitchman

Lauren Bander, Columnist

To most of those who have met me, it is a well-known fact that I like to write. I am currently working on two chapter books, multiple short stories, and other required writing for my classes. I’ve gathered that other people don’t enjoy writing as much as I do because of the question I am often asked: “Why do you write?”

My desired answer is “Why not?” but no matter how often I get the question, I always give the awkward reply, “I don’t know,” because, honestly, I don’t know how to explain the feeling that putting words into sentences and creating something meaningful gives to me. It’s a feeling of accomplishment. It’s a feeling of joy. It’s the idea that someday, by doing this, I can change someone’s life drastically.

But that would only lead to the question, “Why writing?”

So, a few months ago, I believe I figured out my answers to this infamous “Why do you write?” question.

First is the cliché answer: Since I know what I want to read, but it doesn’t exist, I should create it; someone else may want to read the same thing.

But my second answer is: I have stories in my head–stories that have beginnings and ends. Sure, I can always just ask myself to summarize what happens in these stories, but I know I’ll also be asking, “Where is this story going?” I get my answer to that question by writing it all out.

I don’t think I’ll ever stop writing. I want to be a bestselling author when I’m older; hopefully, one that is well-respected and admired. There are authors around the world that are changing lives and doing what they love for a living. I can’t think of anything I would rather do than someday change the world with my writing.