MacAlpines Diner and Soda Fountain is attempting to reopen after the pandemic.
Historic Phoenix Diner Makes Effort to Reopen
Mateo Olmos, Columnist • April 19, 2024

One of Phoenix's oldest diners and soda fountains, called MacAlpines, is trying to reopen for the first...

Hiram Grayam was killed in 1968.
1968 Killing of a Milkman Solved 56 Years Later
Joey Miller, Columnist • April 19, 2024

A Florida milkman by the name of Hiram "Ross" Grayam didn’t return home one night after his rounds....

Charles Leclercs new ice cream will be available in Italian stores.
Lec Ice Cream
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Charles Leclerc, a well known and highly successful Monegasque F1 driver, has recently created an ice...

Arizona abortion law has gone back in time.
Arizona’s New 160-Year-Old Abortion Law
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 19, 2024

Since the overturning of Roe v. Wade in 2022, many states have faced new abortion laws; Arizona is the...

The Bayer Leverkusen team celebrating their title with a cardboard cutout of the Bundesliga trophy.
Bayer Leverkusen Wins Historic First Bundesliga Title
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 19, 2024

On Sunday, April 14, 2024, a match between two top flight German soccer teams Bayer 04 Leverkusen and...

Several popular horror video games.
Horror’s Ability to Possess People
Jet Taft, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Horror, since the concept's creation, has captivated many. The spooky atmospheres, the thrill of adrenaline...

Biden announces his cancellation of student debt.
Biden Unveils New Student Loan Forgiveness Plan
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • April 19, 2024

On April 12, President Joe Biden announced that he would be canceling the debt of 277,000 borrowers....

U.S to Nuke Moon in 1950s?

Castle Romeo atmospheric nuclear test, 1954
    Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization
    “Castle Romeo” atmospheric nuclear test, 1954

The “Space Race” of the late fifties is an important part of the United State’s history, but many are unaware of the strange facts and plans considered during this time period. Project A-119 is one of these; many would glance over the name until they knew the project’s real plan. “A Study of Lunar Research Flights,” also known as Project A-119, was kept under high confidentiality within the U.S Air Force as they plotted to set off a nuclear explosive on the moon.

This project was developed 1958 while the U.S and the Soviet Union were involved in the nuclear arms race that ended up lasting decades and pushed the two on the verge of a nuclear war. The Soviet Union was successfully making advances in regards to space, such as Yuri Gagarin who was the first human to journey into outer space, and Sputnik 1, the world’s first satellite. The U.S “feared to be looking puny in comparison,” remarked physicist Leonard Reiffel, who once led the project. The main reason to Project A-119 was “… to sort of reassure people that the United States could maintain a mutually-assured deterrence.” The U.S was failing to make any advances, was growing nervous, and failed to accept defeat.

Reiffel’s 1959 report regarding the project revealed that the motivation for the project was mainly military based. The U.S wanted to gain information “… concerning the capability of nuclear weapons for space warfare” by first detonating a nuclear explosive on the moon. Reiffel further explained the reasoning behind having a nuclear launch site on the moon, saying that “if the Soviets hit the United States with nuclear weapons first and wiped out the U.S. ability to strike back, the U.S. could launch warheads from the moon.”

Reiffel was not part of this discussion but comments that the impact would not have “blown up the moon.” In fact, the explosion would have been microscopic, even invisible from Earth. According to several 1958 reports, many project leaders have considered using an atom bomb that was the same size used to bomb Hiroshima, Japan near the end of WWII.

By 1959, Project A-119 raised many concerns. Reiffel explains that they didn’t want to “clutter up the natural radioactivity of the moon with additional bits of radioactivity from the Earth.” Project A-119 shows the measures the U.S would consider in order to succeed in the “Space Race.” Even potentially dangerous projects such as this were discussed and contemplated among them, believed to be plans to advance their position in the race. Due to the potential hazards and unreasonable plan, Project A-119 was quickly abandoned, disappearing in the files of the Pentagon.