Hind Rajab is one of many children killed in the war between Israel and Hamas.
Five-Year-Old Palestinian Girl Found Dead After Being Trapped Under Israeli Fire
Joey Miller, Columnist • February 16, 2024

Hind Rajab, a five-year-old girl, was found dead under a car in Gaza. On Jan. 29, 2024, Rajab and her...

Maison Des Champs climbing Sphere.
Man Scales Sphere
Erin McGinty, Columnist • February 16, 2024

On Feb. 7, a man by the name of Maison Des Champs, who uses the online name 'Pro-Life Spider-Man,' was...

Jon Stewart as host of The Daily Show.
Jon Stewart Returns to “The Daily Show”
Suhani Singla, Columnist • February 16, 2024

CNN states that after eight years of absence, Jon Stewart has returned to “The Daily Show,” a comedic...

Lakewood Church is the latest location of gun violence.
Shootout at Lakewood Church Leaves Two in Critical Condition
Ethan Fulton, Columnist • February 16, 2024

On the afternoon of Sunday, Feb. 11, a 36-year-old woman in a trench coat, named Genesse Ivonne Moreno,...

Super Bowl LVIII was a nail biter for both teams.
Chiefs Take Victory at the Super Bowl
Jet Taft, Columnist • February 16, 2024

The 2024 Super Bowl was the 58th installment of a long line of National Football League championships....

The Apple Vision Pro is a strange device with dangers for society.
Apple's Dystopian Device
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • February 16, 2024

The Apple Vision Pro is a first-of-its-kind mixed reality headset, which was announced on June 5, 2023....

The Supreme Court building in Washington, D.C.
Supreme Court to Decide on Trump Ballot Eligibility
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • February 16, 2024

The fundamental rights of Americans are under attack. This statement may sound extreme but it is true...

Sister Cities Program

Sister Cities Program

Gabrielle Petersen, grade 11, is participating in a program called Tempe Sister Cities, where she will travel to Germany and live there for six weeks over the summer.  The program selects 32 high school juniors from Tempe to travel to nine different countries for six weeks during summer. “Their purpose is to try and cultivate friendships between different teens from across the world in order to develop a global community, and give ordinary teenagers who live in Tempe the opportunity to travel that they wouldn’t have on their own.” says Petersen. After initially applying for the program, there are a series of three interviews. If accepted, you’re paired with an unknown teen in a different country. For six weeks, you spend time in your “brother” or “sister’s” country living and experiencing the culture in their home. Following this, the “brother” or “sister” will come to Arizona to live with the Tempe resident for six weeks. The idea of the program is to experience the country from the perspective of someone who lives there rather than as a tourist.

Petersen was interested in the program after hearing about it through a friend. “I hope to gain a fun cultural experience that helps me grow personally. I also hope to gain lots of new friends, from both Germany and Tempe.” She is nervous about becoming homesick of her family and hobbies like horseback riding. Before her trip to Germany this summer, she is required to take German classes at Tempe Sister Cities (TSC). The curriculum teaches history, language, and what to expect from the people and country culture wise. She is very excited about bringing her German sister,Carina, to Tempe and having her meet her friends. The girls have been communicating through Skype and already have a close bond.