Aloha, Horizon

Aloha%2C+Horizon

Anja Asato, Editor In Chief

The last day of high school has finally arrived. I’ve looked forward to this day for so long, but I find myself surprisingly tearful as I reflect upon my journey through Horizon Honors. This moment is very much bittersweet as I leave the school, teachers, and friends that have given me so much these past seven years.

Although seniors have spent a good portion of this year focusing on the future, it’s important to remember what led us to where we stand today. High school has been an incredible journey of ups and downs, and although I’m sure we all have some moments we’d rather forget, I wouldn’t have had it any other way. Mixed in with adventures with my closest friends, hilarious conversations, and small successes, these moments come together to define my high school experience. I’ve rekindled old friendships, developed new ones, and created some of what I’m sure are to be lifelong friendships. Most importantly, I’ve grown as a person to discover my passions and challenge myself to believe in the beauty of my dreams, and act to make them a reality.

My experience at Horizon Honors has shaped me into the person that I’ve become. Here, I explored my interests and discovered my passions.

When I reflect upon high school, journalism is the first thing that comes to mind. Journalism has played a major role in my high school experience and strongly impacted my personal development. When I first joined the newspaper staff, I was shy and unsure. I honestly wondered what I had been thinking when I signed up for the class. I was afraid to speak, and petrified at the idea of having to write down my thoughts. However, with each article, I gained more conviction. The supportive guidance of the editors allowed me to improve my writing, and I was forced to venture beyond my comfort zone. Through journalism, I found the power of my voice and the ability to use it. Now, in the journalism newsroom, I feel at home and at ease.

I am leaving the Horizon Sun as Editor in Chief, and I cannot express how honored I am to have served as editor this past year. Each member of the journalism staff has made their own positive contribution to the paper. It has been a pleasure getting to know everyone, even if it was only through Docs. We succeeded in so much this year, covering more student-related topics, seeking out the best stories, and capturing the most eye-catching photographs. I would like to thank the entire staff for all the hard work you did this year. I would especially like to thank Mrs. Britt for being our fearless advisor and my mentor. In our first full year of a completely digital newspaper, we produced an incredible amount of quality content, and I am so proud of all that we accomplished together. I will miss the newsroom dearly. It is hard to let go, but I have no doubt that the paper will continue to improve and evolve in the coming years.

In less than three months I’ll be moving across the country to attend college in New York, but I will always carry with me my experiences at Horizon Honors. I’m hesitant to leave the Eagle’s nest, but I’m confident that I am prepared for my future.

Thank you to my teachers and friends who have supported me, guided me, and believed in me even when I wasn’t sure I believed in myself. I will be forever thankful.

Aloha a hui hou,

Anja Asato