Delicious, home made gallo pinto.
Gallo Pinto Recipe
Amanda Mourelo, Editor of Student Opinion and Features and Extras • November 28, 2023

Gallo pinto is a rice dish that elevates any meal but is especially great to eat for breakfast. The dish...

Sweet potato casserole made by this recipe.
Sweet Potato Casserole
Canon Grant, Columnist • November 22, 2023

Sweet potato casserole isn’t just any old casserole; it’s full of cheer and joy. Sweet potato casserole...

Delicious bruschetta paired with homemade spaghetti.
Bruschetta Recipe
Addyson Gauer, Editor of Campus Life and Sports • November 22, 2023

Appetizers are a great way to elevate any meal, and one that stands out among the rest is bruschetta....

The finished cornbread in a bag.
Sweet Pumpkin Cornbread Recipe
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • November 22, 2023

Cornbread is a classic Thanksgiving dish that has been a part of many family traditions for...

Brent Faiyazs new album, Larger Than Life
Brent’s Success is Larger Than Life
Maya Zappa, Columnist • November 20, 2023

Brent Faiyaz is one of the top Rhythm and Blues (R&B) artists in the game. All over the media, he...

Content creator creating the Uncanny Valley look.
The Mystery Behind the Uncanny Valley Trend
Erin McGinty, Columnist • November 20, 2023

The Uncanny Valley trend is a popular make-up trend circling the internet. The trend depicts makeup artists...

Tourists sitting next to an Iceland volcano that has already erupted.
Iceland’s Impending Eruption
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • November 20, 2023

The island nation of Iceland is home to a variety of different natural wonders, including its mountains,...

Death Penalty: Should It Be Allowed To Live?

Capital punishment (death penalty) is a legal process that puts a person to death by the state as punishment for a capital crime. Judicial Decree calls it a death sentence, whereas many others will call it an execution, which sparks a lot of debate about the morality in using the death penalty.

Capital punishment is only issued when someone is found guilty of capital crime. But what defines a capital crime? Offenses like murder, rape, espionage, treason, and military justice are defined as capital crimes, and are punishable by death. Although all methods are morally questionable, it has undoubtedly come a long way from primitive forms of execution. The goal of recent actions to make capital punishment more humane were to make the death penalty less of a torturous punishment. However, capital punishment is not the only solution to capital crimes. All capital crimes are punishable by life in prison, perhaps a more sound choice over ending another’s life.

Life in prison, at first, seems like a sound solution over the death penalty. The individual is punished for their crime, and no contradicting issues arise from killing them. However, life in solitude, which is a common conviction for capital crime offenders, often destroys an individual socially and mentally, commonly leaving them longing for death or unfit for society. Is it just as bad, if not worse, to leave a person confined for life? Is it better to end  their life in a non-tortuous way? Maybe the more humane choice would be to leave the offenders punishment a choice to the convicted party.  We often view the act of killing another human being as the worse possible action in any sense, because of how religious views can affect our own moral opinion on something or how focused we can be on making everything sound according to the human rights. In terms of Christianity, any act of killing another human being is punished by condemnation, for it is seen as “an act of vengeance over forgiveness.” Also there is a human right that states we have the right to life. The death penalty does conflict with both the human rights and religious views or moral perspective, but it’s not something that is truly horrendous if used is careful moderation.

The death penalty has been abolished in many places due to human rights, or morality, but it is still commonly retained. Specifically in America, the death penalty still exists in Alabama, Tennessee, Virginia, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Kentucky, California, Missouri, Arizona, and Washington. But it is not the go to solution for dealing with a capital crime committer. There are often many trials that bring up unprecedented evidence against the defendant to the point where their crime can’t be denied. Even at that point many of the criminals are simply sentenced to life in prison. In 2011, only 43 people were sentenced to death in the United States, and the number has dramatically decreased since then. If life in prison and the capital punishment are used for the same tier of crimes, perhaps it should be left up to the guilty party to choose how their life should end.