Natalie Smith signs with The Ohio State.
Diving into D-1: Horizon Honors’s Natalie Smith Signs with The Ohio State
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 25, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, Horizon Honors’s senior Natalie Smith announced her commitment to swim Division...

MacAlpines Diner and Soda Fountain is attempting to reopen after the pandemic.
Historic Phoenix Diner Makes Effort to Reopen
Mateo Olmos, Columnist • April 19, 2024

One of Phoenix's oldest diners and soda fountains, called MacAlpines, is trying to reopen for the first...

Hiram Grayam was killed in 1968.
1968 Killing of a Milkman Solved 56 Years Later
Joey Miller, Columnist • April 19, 2024

A Florida milkman by the name of Hiram "Ross" Grayam didn’t return home one night after his rounds....

Charles Leclercs new ice cream will be available in Italian stores.
Lec Ice Cream
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Charles Leclerc, a well known and highly successful Monegasque F1 driver, has recently created an ice...

Arizona abortion law has gone back in time.
Arizona’s New 160-Year-Old Abortion Law
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 19, 2024

Since the overturning of Roe v. Wade in 2022, many states have faced new abortion laws; Arizona is the...

The Bayer Leverkusen team celebrating their title with a cardboard cutout of the Bundesliga trophy.
Bayer Leverkusen Wins Historic First Bundesliga Title
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 19, 2024

On Sunday, April 14, 2024, a match between two top flight German soccer teams Bayer 04 Leverkusen and...

Several popular horror video games.
Horror’s Ability to Possess People
Jet Taft, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Horror, since the concept's creation, has captivated many. The spooky atmospheres, the thrill of adrenaline...

Burmese Riots Get Worse

Buddhist monks march with sticks and bats. Adaptation of photograph by andrewdudededo, available under a Creative Commons Attribution and Share Alike license. Copyright © 2013 andrewdudededo.

After a year and a half of slow steps into democracy, the country of Burma risks losing all the progress that has been made towards freedom after outbreaks of violence between Burmese Buddhists and Muslims.

After 50 years of dictatorship, the country of Burma started changing drastically. Their new president, Thein Sein, met with Nobel peace laureate, Aung San Suu Kyi, and there were sweeping reforms all around the country. Their government released political prisoners, legalized trade unions and relaxed the country’s censorship. Suu Kyi and dozens of her party members were elected into office in fair elections. However, violence has arisen in Meiktila, a city at the center of the country. Currently, more than 40 lives have been lost in the fighting between the two religious groups. Emergency rule decrees have failed to restore order, and the country risks bringing back the military force they just drove out of power.

Although the Arakanese Buddhists and the Rohingya Muslims have not been on good terms for decades, this violence is surprising since it has not happened in this area. Last year, violence broke out in the far west of the country, but it seems the population’s 90% majority Buddhists disagree with the Muslims living in their land. Rohingya Muslims have been denied citizenship for years, and although they have been living in Burma the entire time, Buddhists consider them illegal immigrants.

A simple dispute in a gold shop in Meiktila on April 12th became the scene of a major brawl. People were killed with knives and sticks in the street, mosques and shops burned to the ground, and many Muslims, including women and children, have been driven from their homes and forced to seek refuge in a soccer stadium. One man was set on fire in the street, and citizens, including police officers, just watched.

Buddhists are a usually peace-loving people, so one may wonder what has provoked this violence. Recently a campaign has been gaining popularity around Burma stating Muslims are trying to take over the world and encouraging Buddhists to shun them. This campaign can be viewed as “racial cleansing”, since the Buddhists are so against the existence of Muslims in “their” country. Whether this is the catalyst or not, one thing is known for certain; if this violence keeps up, Burma will lose years of progress in becoming a free country.