My Fondest Farewell
My Fondest Farewell
Carsten Oyer, Editor-in-Chief • May 24, 2024

Five years ago I entered the computer lab here on campus for the first time. I was attending the class...

My Last Article
My Last Article
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • May 24, 2024

Dear Horizon Honors, In Journalism, farewell articles are reserved for those who have spent a significant...

Daniel Duggan is under suspicion of betraying the U.S.
Former U.S. Marine Arrested in Australia after Unknowingly Working with a Chinese Hacker
Joey Miller, Columnist • May 21, 2024

A former United States Marine pilot fighting extradition from Australia to the U.S. was charged with...

Mary Alice Pultz has been identified as a dead body found decades ago.
Authorities in Florida Identify Remains of Woman Last Seen 40 Years Ago
Ethan Fulton, Columnist • May 21, 2024

In 1985, human remains were found on a beach in St. Johns County, Florida. On May 12, police were able...

Israels actions in the Gaza Strip are worthy of being called genocidal.
Israel Has Chosen Criminality
Carsten Oyer, Editor-in-Chief • May 21, 2024

It would be disingenuous to say that the Oct. 7, 2023 terror attack on Israel sparked the current war...

The aurora borealis could be seen in Arizona recently.
Aurora Borealis Visible in Arizona
Eli Geist, Columnist • May 21, 2024

Many travel far north just to get a glimpse of the aurora borealis; however, recently the amazing spectacle...

Squad Busters is a new game from Supercell.
New Supercell Game: “Squad Busters”
Matthew Greco, Columnist • May 21, 2024

The popular mobile game company Supercell just announced a new game currently in development called “Squad...

Burmese Riots Get Worse

Buddhist monks march with sticks and bats. Adaptation of photograph by andrewdudededo, available under a Creative Commons Attribution and Share Alike license. Copyright © 2013 andrewdudededo.

After a year and a half of slow steps into democracy, the country of Burma risks losing all the progress that has been made towards freedom after outbreaks of violence between Burmese Buddhists and Muslims.

After 50 years of dictatorship, the country of Burma started changing drastically. Their new president, Thein Sein, met with Nobel peace laureate, Aung San Suu Kyi, and there were sweeping reforms all around the country. Their government released political prisoners, legalized trade unions and relaxed the country’s censorship. Suu Kyi and dozens of her party members were elected into office in fair elections. However, violence has arisen in Meiktila, a city at the center of the country. Currently, more than 40 lives have been lost in the fighting between the two religious groups. Emergency rule decrees have failed to restore order, and the country risks bringing back the military force they just drove out of power.

Although the Arakanese Buddhists and the Rohingya Muslims have not been on good terms for decades, this violence is surprising since it has not happened in this area. Last year, violence broke out in the far west of the country, but it seems the population’s 90% majority Buddhists disagree with the Muslims living in their land. Rohingya Muslims have been denied citizenship for years, and although they have been living in Burma the entire time, Buddhists consider them illegal immigrants.

A simple dispute in a gold shop in Meiktila on April 12th became the scene of a major brawl. People were killed with knives and sticks in the street, mosques and shops burned to the ground, and many Muslims, including women and children, have been driven from their homes and forced to seek refuge in a soccer stadium. One man was set on fire in the street, and citizens, including police officers, just watched.

Buddhists are a usually peace-loving people, so one may wonder what has provoked this violence. Recently a campaign has been gaining popularity around Burma stating Muslims are trying to take over the world and encouraging Buddhists to shun them. This campaign can be viewed as “racial cleansing”, since the Buddhists are so against the existence of Muslims in “their” country. Whether this is the catalyst or not, one thing is known for certain; if this violence keeps up, Burma will lose years of progress in becoming a free country.