My Fondest Farewell
My Fondest Farewell
Carsten Oyer, Editor-in-Chief • May 24, 2024

Five years ago I entered the computer lab here on campus for the first time. I was attending the class...

My Last Article
My Last Article
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • May 24, 2024

Dear Horizon Honors, In Journalism, farewell articles are reserved for those who have spent a significant...

Daniel Duggan is under suspicion of betraying the U.S.
Former U.S. Marine Arrested in Australia after Unknowingly Working with a Chinese Hacker
Joey Miller, Columnist • May 21, 2024

A former United States Marine pilot fighting extradition from Australia to the U.S. was charged with...

Mary Alice Pultz has been identified as a dead body found decades ago.
Authorities in Florida Identify Remains of Woman Last Seen 40 Years Ago
Ethan Fulton, Columnist • May 21, 2024

In 1985, human remains were found on a beach in St. Johns County, Florida. On May 12, police were able...

Israels actions in the Gaza Strip are worthy of being called genocidal.
Israel Has Chosen Criminality
Carsten Oyer, Editor-in-Chief • May 21, 2024

It would be disingenuous to say that the Oct. 7, 2023 terror attack on Israel sparked the current war...

The aurora borealis could be seen in Arizona recently.
Aurora Borealis Visible in Arizona
Eli Geist, Columnist • May 21, 2024

Many travel far north just to get a glimpse of the aurora borealis; however, recently the amazing spectacle...

Squad Busters is a new game from Supercell.
New Supercell Game: “Squad Busters”
Matthew Greco, Columnist • May 21, 2024

The popular mobile game company Supercell just announced a new game currently in development called “Squad...

Major Security Breach in Google Glasses

Adaptation of photograph by tedeytan, available under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license. Copyright © 2013 tedeytan.

Google Glasses are one of the most desired technological items in 2013. It may seem like it’s taking a long time for them to come out, but the delay is for good reason; safety is a major concern related to the product.  Recently, a security flaw was found by Jay Freeman, one of 8,000 beta testers of the glasses. This flaw can allow a hacker to, in a sense, hack into someone’s sight and hearing, by hijacking the camera and microphone built into the glasses.

There are a couple reasons that this flaw exists. One reason is that there is no security interface at all, whether it be a pass code or voice recognition. This, combined with a coding flaw, makes the glasses very vulnerable to attack or hacking. This flaw opens up many dangerous opportunities; the device could be used to take a picture of a key to replicate, or take video of a security code. Google is looking into all possible solutions to this problem.  These safety and privacy concerns need to be addressed and fixed, and may increase the time before the glasses are released to the general public.