MacAlpines Diner and Soda Fountain is attempting to reopen after the pandemic.
Historic Phoenix Diner Makes Effort to Reopen
Mateo Olmos, Columnist • April 19, 2024

One of Phoenix's oldest diners and soda fountains, called MacAlpines, is trying to reopen for the first...

Hiram Grayam was killed in 1968.
1968 Killing of a Milkman Solved 56 Years Later
Joey Miller, Columnist • April 19, 2024

A Florida milkman by the name of Hiram "Ross" Grayam didn’t return home one night after his rounds....

Charles Leclercs new ice cream will be available in Italian stores.
Lec Ice Cream
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Charles Leclerc, a well known and highly successful Monegasque F1 driver, has recently created an ice...

Arizona abortion law has gone back in time.
Arizona’s New 160-Year-Old Abortion Law
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 19, 2024

Since the overturning of Roe v. Wade in 2022, many states have faced new abortion laws; Arizona is the...

The Bayer Leverkusen team celebrating their title with a cardboard cutout of the Bundesliga trophy.
Bayer Leverkusen Wins Historic First Bundesliga Title
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 19, 2024

On Sunday, April 14, 2024, a match between two top flight German soccer teams Bayer 04 Leverkusen and...

Several popular horror video games.
Horror’s Ability to Possess People
Jet Taft, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Horror, since the concept's creation, has captivated many. The spooky atmospheres, the thrill of adrenaline...

Biden announces his cancellation of student debt.
Biden Unveils New Student Loan Forgiveness Plan
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • April 19, 2024

On April 12, President Joe Biden announced that he would be canceling the debt of 277,000 borrowers....

Thnks fr th Mmrs

Courtesy of Aaron Ruacho

Well, crap.

I’ve only been here for three years, but it feels like I’ve been going to this school since kindergarten. I never thought I would be sad to leave school, but it sucks to leave.

I never thought a school would become the thing I fret over. I’m not afraid of life outside high school; I am confident I will do well at MCC, and though I have no idea what I want to do with my life, I have no fear of that either. It’s the fact that this school has become my home, its teachers my family, its students my brothers and sisters. Most people don’t think of Horizon as a home, and the ones that do have been here their whole lives. I’ve only been here three years, and yet it feels like a lifetime.

My first year of high school, I went to Mountain Pointe. While the Pointe was so filled with students it was like kicking over an anthill; Horizon, as we all know, has about 400 students. This is a huge difference and one of the reasons I love it here so much. Having so many people in one place makes you feel small and insignificant. However, you know you are in the right place when the librarians know you by name, when you don’t need to enter your code  to check out a book, when you can walk the halls and not get lost. I like the small, more personal environment better than the public school idea.

But I think the biggest reason I love Horizon so much is the people. At Mountain Pointe, I was indifferent to the teachers. Here, I love every last one I have had over the years, especially the one teacher I have had all three years, Mrs. Britt. Journalism has been the one class I have had all three years of my high school career, and it no longer being in my life will take some getting used to.

The students are great too. The friends I had at the Pointe were awesome, but I never saw them outside class because of the maze of the hallways and because they usually had a different lunch period than I did. This made it hard to stay friends, and after a while I noticed them only occasionally acknowledging our friendship. Here, there is only one lunch period, which is awesome, and since my friends and I see each other so often during – and outside of – school, we’ve stayed friends for these past three years.

By the time this is put up online, I probably will have already graduated . Before I go, I just want to say thank you to everyone who has made my life here great, and that I will miss this school and its inhabitants more than I can say. Thanks.