My Fondest Farewell
My Fondest Farewell
Carsten Oyer, Editor-in-Chief • May 24, 2024

Five years ago I entered the computer lab here on campus for the first time. I was attending the class...

My Last Article
My Last Article
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • May 24, 2024

Dear Horizon Honors, In Journalism, farewell articles are reserved for those who have spent a significant...

Daniel Duggan is under suspicion of betraying the U.S.
Former U.S. Marine Arrested in Australia after Unknowingly Working with a Chinese Hacker
Joey Miller, Columnist • May 21, 2024

A former United States Marine pilot fighting extradition from Australia to the U.S. was charged with...

Mary Alice Pultz has been identified as a dead body found decades ago.
Authorities in Florida Identify Remains of Woman Last Seen 40 Years Ago
Ethan Fulton, Columnist • May 21, 2024

In 1985, human remains were found on a beach in St. Johns County, Florida. On May 12, police were able...

Israels actions in the Gaza Strip are worthy of being called genocidal.
Israel Has Chosen Criminality
Carsten Oyer, Editor-in-Chief • May 21, 2024

It would be disingenuous to say that the Oct. 7, 2023 terror attack on Israel sparked the current war...

The aurora borealis could be seen in Arizona recently.
Aurora Borealis Visible in Arizona
Eli Geist, Columnist • May 21, 2024

Many travel far north just to get a glimpse of the aurora borealis; however, recently the amazing spectacle...

Squad Busters is a new game from Supercell.
New Supercell Game: “Squad Busters”
Matthew Greco, Columnist • May 21, 2024

The popular mobile game company Supercell just announced a new game currently in development called “Squad...

Thnks fr th Mmrs

Courtesy of Aaron Ruacho

Well, crap.

I’ve only been here for three years, but it feels like I’ve been going to this school since kindergarten. I never thought I would be sad to leave school, but it sucks to leave.

I never thought a school would become the thing I fret over. I’m not afraid of life outside high school; I am confident I will do well at MCC, and though I have no idea what I want to do with my life, I have no fear of that either. It’s the fact that this school has become my home, its teachers my family, its students my brothers and sisters. Most people don’t think of Horizon as a home, and the ones that do have been here their whole lives. I’ve only been here three years, and yet it feels like a lifetime.

My first year of high school, I went to Mountain Pointe. While the Pointe was so filled with students it was like kicking over an anthill; Horizon, as we all know, has about 400 students. This is a huge difference and one of the reasons I love it here so much. Having so many people in one place makes you feel small and insignificant. However, you know you are in the right place when the librarians know you by name, when you don’t need to enter your code  to check out a book, when you can walk the halls and not get lost. I like the small, more personal environment better than the public school idea.

But I think the biggest reason I love Horizon so much is the people. At Mountain Pointe, I was indifferent to the teachers. Here, I love every last one I have had over the years, especially the one teacher I have had all three years, Mrs. Britt. Journalism has been the one class I have had all three years of my high school career, and it no longer being in my life will take some getting used to.

The students are great too. The friends I had at the Pointe were awesome, but I never saw them outside class because of the maze of the hallways and because they usually had a different lunch period than I did. This made it hard to stay friends, and after a while I noticed them only occasionally acknowledging our friendship. Here, there is only one lunch period, which is awesome, and since my friends and I see each other so often during – and outside of – school, we’ve stayed friends for these past three years.

By the time this is put up online, I probably will have already graduated . Before I go, I just want to say thank you to everyone who has made my life here great, and that I will miss this school and its inhabitants more than I can say. Thanks.