My Fondest Farewell
My Fondest Farewell
Carsten Oyer, Editor-in-Chief • May 24, 2024

Five years ago I entered the computer lab here on campus for the first time. I was attending the class...

My Last Article
My Last Article
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • May 24, 2024

Dear Horizon Honors, In Journalism, farewell articles are reserved for those who have spent a significant...

Daniel Duggan is under suspicion of betraying the U.S.
Former U.S. Marine Arrested in Australia after Unknowingly Working with a Chinese Hacker
Joey Miller, Columnist • May 21, 2024

A former United States Marine pilot fighting extradition from Australia to the U.S. was charged with...

Mary Alice Pultz has been identified as a dead body found decades ago.
Authorities in Florida Identify Remains of Woman Last Seen 40 Years Ago
Ethan Fulton, Columnist • May 21, 2024

In 1985, human remains were found on a beach in St. Johns County, Florida. On May 12, police were able...

Israels actions in the Gaza Strip are worthy of being called genocidal.
Israel Has Chosen Criminality
Carsten Oyer, Editor-in-Chief • May 21, 2024

It would be disingenuous to say that the Oct. 7, 2023 terror attack on Israel sparked the current war...

The aurora borealis could be seen in Arizona recently.
Aurora Borealis Visible in Arizona
Eli Geist, Columnist • May 21, 2024

Many travel far north just to get a glimpse of the aurora borealis; however, recently the amazing spectacle...

Squad Busters is a new game from Supercell.
New Supercell Game: “Squad Busters”
Matthew Greco, Columnist • May 21, 2024

The popular mobile game company Supercell just announced a new game currently in development called “Squad...

Class of 2013 Takes Flight

On Tuesday, May 28th, the senior class of Horizon Honors entered Sun Valley Church for the last time as Horizon students and left as young men and women bound for university level educations. Surrounded by their extended families, friends, and teachers, 92 students graduated with honors and took the next step in their lives. Cantabile Honors Chorale performed the traditional Horizon graduation song “On Eagle’s Wings” and an a Capella version of “I Hope You Dance,” while a double octet from Symphonic Band played “Pomp and Circumstance,” “Allegro Molto,” and “Menuetto and Trio.” The Horizon graduation has elements of a traditional graduation ceremony; students were decked out in mortarboards and colored tassels indicating their community service involvement and grade point average, they were presented with their well earned certificates, and they were cheered on by their families and peers. However, the ceremony had a component unique to Horizon Honors; each student had a video speech given by someone close to them wishing them well and giving them advice for their futures. The videos ranged from tear-jerking to hilarious, and several included musical numbers, embarrassing stories, and baby pictures. The small size of the average graduating class at Horizon allows for these highly personal touches in the ceremony, which just goes to show how Horizon’s intimate environment carries over, even in a student’s last moments as an Eagle. The graduating class was awarded over $6M in scholarships, an accurate representation of the drive and determination of the class of 2013. They’ll be greatly missed around campus, but we know they’ll do great things in the future.