Hats for the Homeless

Photo credit: Anja Asato © 2013

Gail Engstrom from the Phoenix Rescue Mission speaks to students about the impact of their project. Engstrom came to the Fiber Arts meeting on Nov. 26.

Kai Farley, Columnist

The Fiber Arts Club is partnering with Phoenix Rescue Mission to provide warm winter items to homeless individuals who don’t have access to shelters.

Senior Martina Weary, president of the Fiber Arts Club, was contacted by senior Anja Asato about an opportunity to partner with Key Club to participate in a volunteer activity. Asato spoke with the Phoenix Rescue Mission to set up a drive for knitted hats and Weary worked to arrange and plan the project.

Senior Katie Rupper, a fiber artist who is working on knitting a hat for the project, said “I’m excited to learn how to make a hat and help others.”

Weary wants to use the students’ interest in fiber arts to get involved in community service. “I am really excited that people are learning to do a life skill and are applying it not only in their lives, but the community as well.”

Each fiber artist has a personal goal of creating one or two hats for this mission; the club hopes to collect a minimum of 12 hats. Fiber Arts Club offers instruction and help to beginners or advanced fiber artists with the process of making the hats.

Everyone is welcome to donate and participate in this project. The hats will provide an important service to the community, helping the homeless to stay warm during the upcoming winter months.