My Fondest Farewell
My Fondest Farewell
Carsten Oyer, Editor-in-Chief • May 24, 2024

Five years ago I entered the computer lab here on campus for the first time. I was attending the class...

My Last Article
My Last Article
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • May 24, 2024

Dear Horizon Honors, In Journalism, farewell articles are reserved for those who have spent a significant...

Daniel Duggan is under suspicion of betraying the U.S.
Former U.S. Marine Arrested in Australia after Unknowingly Working with a Chinese Hacker
Joey Miller, Columnist • May 21, 2024

A former United States Marine pilot fighting extradition from Australia to the U.S. was charged with...

Mary Alice Pultz has been identified as a dead body found decades ago.
Authorities in Florida Identify Remains of Woman Last Seen 40 Years Ago
Ethan Fulton, Columnist • May 21, 2024

In 1985, human remains were found on a beach in St. Johns County, Florida. On May 12, police were able...

Israels actions in the Gaza Strip are worthy of being called genocidal.
Israel Has Chosen Criminality
Carsten Oyer, Editor-in-Chief • May 21, 2024

It would be disingenuous to say that the Oct. 7, 2023 terror attack on Israel sparked the current war...

The aurora borealis could be seen in Arizona recently.
Aurora Borealis Visible in Arizona
Eli Geist, Columnist • May 21, 2024

Many travel far north just to get a glimpse of the aurora borealis; however, recently the amazing spectacle...

Squad Busters is a new game from Supercell.
New Supercell Game: “Squad Busters”
Matthew Greco, Columnist • May 21, 2024

The popular mobile game company Supercell just announced a new game currently in development called “Squad...

How To: Ukulele (Beginner)

Have you ever wanted to pick up an instrument and learn to play it in just a few weeks? The ukulele gives you the opportunity to learn a stringed instrument in a matter of weeks with practice. The first step to playing your new instrument is getting to know it.

Types of Ukuleles:
There are several variations of ukuleles all with different ranges: the soprano uke (highest pitch), concert uke (middle pitch), tenor uke (low pitch), and the bass uke (lowest pitch). All variations are played the same, except the bass ukulele, which has its own set way of playing chords because of its different strings. This tutorial will not cover how to play a bass ukulele. As the pitch of the ukulele gets lower, the size of the instrument and the fret board increases. It is important to select a ukulele in a size complements the size of your hands, which will make forming chords and changing them much easier.

Tuning your ukulele:
Once you have assessed what kind of ukulele you will be playing, you will need to know how to tune it. The ukulele has four strings, the first being an A string, the second an E string, the third a C string, and the fourth a G string. The A string is tuned to the first A above middle C on a piano. The E string is tuned to the first E above middle C on a piano. The C string is tuned to middle C. And the G string is tuned to the first G above middle C on a piano. If you can’t play a piano, try searching online for a ukulele tuner. You can purchase one or use a site that gives you the correct pitches.

Holding and strumming your ukulele:
After your ukulele has been tuned you will need to learn how to properly hold and strum the instrument. When holding and playing the ukulele, you will want to keep your left wrist (assuming you are right handed) away from the fret board. This will allow your fingers to be in a better position to strum the chords. Press your fingers firmly on the string between the correct fret wires, but make sure they do not touch the neighboring strings. You will want to strum with the backs of your fingers on your right hand or use a felt pick to strum. When using a pick, hold it between the thumb and index finger. You are now ready to begin playing your ukulele.

Chords:

The four basic chords:
There are four basic chords on the ukulele that are commonly used in almost every song or tab for the instrument. The chords include the C chord, A minor chord, F chord, and G chord.

C chord:
The C chord is played by pressing your ring finger down on the third fret of the A string and leaving the E string, C string, and G string open.

A minor Chord (Am):
The Am Chord is played by pressing your middle finger down on the second fret of the G string and leaving the C string, E string, and A string open.

F Chord:
The F chord is played by pressing your middle finger down on the second fret of the G string and pressing your index finger down on the first fret of the E string. The C string and A string are left open.

G Chord:
The G chord is the most complex of the four basic chords to play. It is played by pressing your index finger down on the second fret of the C chord, your ring finger down on the third fret of the E string, and your middle finger down on the second fret of the A string. The G string is left open. It is an option to bar your index finger over the E string and down on the A string instead of playing it with your ring finger.

Once you have gotten used to playing these four basic chords and maneuvering between them, you will be ready to start playing different songs on your ukulele.