A Happy and Discouraging Holler from the Crowd

Photo courtesy of Perry Knotts/NFL, Copyright © 2014 Perry Knotts/NFL.

Young quarterback Russell Wilson holds the Vince Lombardi Trophy. The score results for the Super Bowl XLVIII ended up to be 43 to 8, in favor of the Seahawks.

Maggie Kenzler, Columnist

The Super Bowl XLVIII at the MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey ended with a incredible win by the Seahawks and tough loss by the Broncos on Sunday, Feb. 2. The game resulted in a score of 43 to 8, in favor of the Seattle Seahawks.

This football game caused an uproar of emotions, ranging from happiness and sadness to anger and bewilderment.  I know several Broncos fans, myself included, that expected to see the Broncos come home with a win.  Freshman Michelle Ogle said, “I felt like it was one of the worst Super Bowls that I have ever seen.  I wish that it was a closer game. It would’ve been much more interesting.  I was not happy at all about my team losing…I wish they would’ve played better!”  Still, she was proud of them for making it as far as the Super Bowl.

The Super Bowl was surely an unforgettable game for both the Seahawks and the Broncos.  The Seahawks will remember it as an amazing victory, but, unfortunately, the Broncos will remember it as a humiliating defeat.  The Broncos must not have known what they were getting themselves into.  The top notch Seattle Seahawks’ had an incredibly strong defense, which is what led them to their victory.  Along with Seattle Seahawks’ great potential, their greatly athletic players are surely skillful.  I see quarterback Russell Wilson as a person built with a strong spirituality and physicality.

Following his team’s win, Wilson shared, “It’s a true, true blessing…At the beginning of the season I told our guys, ‘Hey, why not us?’ The Seahawks had the talent, coaching staff, and best fans in the National Football League.”  He seemed ecstatic although tired, during his interview: “We have great teammates, and I couldn’t have done it without the guys.”

Wilson spoke about how guidance from his father emulated his team’s game plan.  His father used to regularly question him saying, “Rus, why not you?”  Wilson’s father meant for him to believe in himself and trust God with the plan and talent he has set before him even though he was 5-foot-11.  Wilson’s father truly believed in his son and what he could perform.  This is why he chose to play football, and he wanted to go against the odds a little bit.  After seeing the outcome of the game, Wilson had said that his team’s defense was relentless and they want to be champions everyday.