College Knowledge: University of Denver

We bring you the newest addition to the College Knowledge series: The University of Denver- fun facts and figures about the school and its campus life.

Photo Courtesy of Danielle Moran

The Iliff School of Theology at UD is beautiful even in the snow.

Danielle Moran, Columnist

There are hundreds of colleges and universities throughout the United States, including at least 50 in Colorado itself. But there is one Colorado school that particularly sticks out in all of those big, scary college books your parents throw at you. So put on some crimson and gold and grab your hockey stick; it’s time to take a tour of the University of Denver.

Although the University of Denver (UD) has a relatively small campus size, the D1 school holds about 11,780 students and is the top-ranked school in the United States for studying abroad. It is a private, nonprofit school that’s located within a major urban area, but the entirety of the campus only takes about 10 to 15 minutes to walk all the way around. It offers 116 possible graduate degrees, as well as 88 possible bachelor degrees, and also runs off the quarter system so you’re able to take multiple classes each year!

The most notable thing about the school, besides their love for skiing and ice hockey, is their programs for studying abroad. UD was ranked number one in the top ten universities for studying abroad in the 2014 Open Doors report. UD offers more than 150 different programs in 55 countries, and with the school’s connection to Cherrington Global Scholars, students have to pay no additional cost.

When looking at colleges, it’s important to explore the campus and student life, as well as the academic life. All freshmen and sophomores live on campus in either co-ed or same-sex dorms (it’s your choice). There are 82 student organizations, including community service clubs, student government clubs, and the UD-infamous Alpine Club. And if you can’t find a certain club you’re interested in, you’re encouraged to make your own. There are 21 honors societies and 19 varsity sports, but if you’re looking for something a little less intense, UD offers club-level and intramural sports as well. 25 percent of the student body is involved in greek life (there are 8 sororities and 8 fraternities) but the Greek houses are located off campus.

Now you’ve learned little more about the University of Denver and what you would experience as a student there. If you liked what you saw, consider applying to the school as you continue on your journey from the high school world to the college world.