The Best Binge-Worthy App

Many people know of different streaming services for binge-watching, but which is the best?

Kayli Taylor

There are tons of streaming services out there, but which ones are the best?

Kayli Taylor, Columnist

Many people like to watch shows with no commercials, and not have to wait for the next episode to be released so they can just keep watching all in one sitting. This is called binge-watching, and it’s become increasingly popular with the rise of streaming services.

There are many different types of binge-watching apps. Some popular ones that you might know are Amazon Prime Video, Apple TV, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, and Netflix. It doesn’t just end there, though. Some other ones that you might not know of are Crackle, Free TV, Google Play Games, Peacock TV, Plex, Pluto TV, Tubi, and Xumo. Students of Horizon Honors Secondary School were asked what they find to be the best binge-worthy app or what they use. This is what they had to say.

Isabel Wendt (seventh grade) said “Netflix, it has all my favorite shows and they always come out with new ones.” Brandon Dosen (eighth grade) said “To me, the best binging app has to be Netflix, because of the large amount of variety in their content and the amount that’s there to watch.”

But many students would like to change parts of the app. For example, Wendt expressed annoyance with Netflix for removing shows from its service, saying that “Netflix sometimes takes down shows while I am still watching them, so what I would change is I would never take down shows. I would keep them.” Brandon Dosen (eighth grader) explained that, “the one thing that I would change about the app is that Netflix needs to put less focus on their own original content. While Netflix has some amazing shows, they choose to hide that and instead use the home area to advertise their original shows and movies”.

Some students use one app over another because they heard bad things about it, or simply because of their personal opinion about them (Related: using the opinions of others as a basis for our own has a name: herd mentality). Others don’t have much of a choice in which app they use, since that is what their family uses, or that particular app is the only app that they have. Dosen uses Netflix. “It was a very close decision between Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+, however I had to go with Netflix. The main reason why I didn’t go with Disney+ was because of the lack of new popular shows. So while you can watch old favorites, there aren’t too many new ones coming in. With Hulu, it was very close because of the focus on the shows, however most of the shows there are for a particular audience that doesn’t go with everyone. In contrast, Netflix has a wider variety in content.”

The most popular binge-watching app so far is Netflix, but a lot of people want to change or tweak some things about the app.