Black History Month

AZ Family

There are many ways to support local Black-owned businesses in the valley.

Rebecca Harris, Columnist

Started in 1976, Black History Month is a time to celebrate and recognize the Black community. Black History Month is celebrated in the United Kingdom, United States, Netherlands, Germany, and Canada, according to the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP).

This month was originally celebrated in the second week of February, but, according to History, President Ford recognized it as the entire month in 1976. This was, in part, due to the Later Civil Rights Movement, which had ended 8 years earlier (1955-1968). Ever since then, each American president has acknowledged February as Black History Month.

There are many ways to participate in this month, from supporting local Black-owned businesses to raising awareness or donating to a national or international Black organization.

Phoenix-Area Black-Owned Businesses

One of the biggest ways to celebrate Black History Month is to support local Black-owned businesses and organizations. Even with the pandemic, many businesses are still operating online, although hours may vary.

These are just a few of the many Black-owned businesses in Arizona. You can find a list of other businesses on DTPHX and AZCentral.

Organizations You Can Support

There are many national Black organizations you can support, through things such as donations. Some of the more well-known organizations include the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), the Center for Black Equity, the National Association of African Americans in Human Resources, and the Thurgood Marshall College Fund.

What organizations are doing to celebrate

Many organizations are getting involved in Black History Month. During a poetry class in honor of Black History Month, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex surprised a group of students by joining their weekly Zoom, according to Get Lit, the host of these classes, and Buzzfeed. NASA also hosted a virtual discussion titled “The Power of African American Leadership in NASA.”

Black History Month is a time to remember Black leaders and a time to support the Black community. This month, try supporting one of your local businesses or a national organization, or learning about Black history as a whole.