Preparing for Dorm Life

Living in dorms is a key part of the college experience.

A great college experience starts with a fantastic dorm situation.

Insider

Sripriya Srinivas, Columnist

With graduation coming up, it is important for seniors to be thinking ahead to prepare for college. Staying in college dorms, especially, is a new experience that may be stressful to think about, but there are many tips that can make the transition easier.

Many college websites have a checklist for what to bring to their dorms. This should be the first thing to check, especially since there are some items that are not permitted on campus. For example, many colleges do not allow candles or incense due to fire hazards. Checklists for popular in-state colleges can be found here: Northern Arizona UniversityArizona State University, and University of Arizona. Sign-Up Genius also provides a general checklist. Consider checking your college’s website for what the rooms will look like so you can plan for the space provided.

A fun way to prepare to stay in dorms is to create a visual for what you want your dorm to look like. One easy way to do this is by creating a Pinterest board. Here you can look up images of college dorms and save inspiration you find. There also might be pre-written checklists that you can save. You can also simply save inspiration photos you find on Google into a document or slideshow.

One thing that is important to think about is storage and organization. The size of your dorm room will vary depending on your college, so some may have to worry about this more than others. However, there are many things you can do to maximize your living space. Refined Rooms recommends getting a rolling drawer cart to store your items. Other organizational items to get are storage for under your bed, on the wall, or on the backs of the doors. Storage boxes can also be very helpful for organizing your items.

You can also check to see what your dorms offer in terms of study or recreational spaces outside of your room. This way, you can find a private space to study in if needed. Also, make sure you know who to contact in case any problems arise: your dorm’s resident advisor. If you maintain good communication with your roommates and set ground rules, this may not be necessary. That being said, it’s better to be safe than sorry.

There are many more resources to help prepare you for dorm life. You can talk to friends or relatives that have gone to college and ask them for advice or simply look up videos on YouTube. Hopefully after following these tips, you will have fewer questions or concerns. However, there is usually a lot of information that you can find on your college’s website or by talking to the staff if you’re still unsure. Make sure to tour your campus to get to know the space better. During the first few weeks of college, explore campus and make it home. After all, this is where you’ll be living for the next four years.