An employee at the Target forensics lab in classic Target uniform.
The Target Forensics Lab
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 11, 2024

Target, just like many other retailers, has fallen victim to shoplifters, with almost a billion dollars...

Israeli protests stirred debate over Netanyahus position.
Israeli Citizens Demand a Ceasefire
Ethan Fulton, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Israeli citizens stormed central Jerusalem on Sunday, March 31 in the largest anti-government protest...

A cow.
Animals and People Across the Country Catch Bird Flu
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Across the United States, farm animals such as cows and chickens have been testing positive for a disease...

Ukrainian forces survey damage.
Republican Rep. Confident Ukraine Aid Will Make It to House Floor
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • April 5, 2024

Rep. Mike Lawler (R-NY) said in a recent CNN “State of the Union” interview that he was confident...

The finished product.
Blissful Brookies
Matthew Greco, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Cookies are amazing. You can put anything in them. Brownies are chocolatey goodness. They’re always...

Dan Schneider hugs a cast member.
Nickelodeon’s Dark Side
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Dan Schneider, director of many of the older Nickelodeon shows like “iCarly,” “The Amanda Show!,”...

There were three racers who did not finish the race.
Australian Grand Prix 2024 Summed Up
Matthew Greco, Columnist • March 28, 2024

The Australian Grand Prix which took place over two days has just come to a close. This article covers...

Healthy Habits to Support a Longer Life

Daily habits that people could implement into their lives in order to live a longer, healthier life.
Healthy habits that contribute to longer lives.
Telford and Wrekin Council

Being a healthy individual has many positive effects on people’s lives. Whether they be physical or mental health benefits, being healthy always has a good outcome. One of the largest rewards for having a healthy lifestyle is a longer life. Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health found that by participating in healthier activities, both younger and elderly individuals can greatly improve their life expectancy. Participating in healthier lifestyles has shown to increase life expectancy by up to 14 years or more, and there are five main factors that can contribute to this.

Healthy Diet

The first factor to a healthier lifestyle is having a healthy diet. Much of the population’s diet today consists of fatty, processed foods that have less nutritional value than other foods. Life Extension states that by limiting the amount of processed foods consumed, people can live upwards of seven years longer than somebody who regularly consumes processed foods. Adding in more natural foods to a diet, like fruits, vegetables, or natural proteins, will not only add balance but can also improve life expectancy. The diet that has shown to cause the longest life expectancy is the Mediterranean diet, which consists of a high intake of vegetables, legumes, whole grains, and nuts, with little-to-no dietary intake of processed meat and sugar sweetened beverages. Aetna wrote that healthy diets can also reduce symptoms of mental health issues like depression or anxiety.

Regular Exercise

The second contributing factor to a longer life is getting regular exercise. According to the National Council On Aging (NCOA), exercise helps crucial body systems operate at their best for longer. Exercise also helps lower one’s chances of suffering from chronic conditions. Exercise also helps keep the mind strong as aging occurs, which reduces the risk of neurological conditions such as dementia. Depending on the type of exercise, life duration can increase by up to nine years.

Healthy Weight

With obesity being one of the leading causes of death in America, keeping a healthy weight is an obvious way to live longer. Health.gov wrote that keeping a healthy weight can lower the risk for serious conditions, like diabetes and heart disease, while also allowing people’s bodies to be less strained. Maintaining a healthy weight can help lower blood pressure and blood sugars to healthy levels while increasing the levels of High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, the body’s good cholesterol. Keeping a healthy weight can be achieved by eating a healthy diet and getting regular exercise. 

Avoiding Tobacco

Tobacco products are known to be harmful to the human body and its systems, so avoiding them is a good idea. As more research is conducted, more evidence is coming out showing just how harmful tobacco can be. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention state that smoking can cause many harmful diseases, including cancers, heart disease, lung failure, diabetes, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). All these diseases take years off of people’s lives, and even cause health problems for future generations. Other tobacco products, like vaping, have also proven to have the same effects on the human body. While saying “stop smoking” is easy, quitting is not that simple, since most products contain nicotine, which is a heavily addictive substance that affects the brain’s function. Staying clear of tobacco is a good choice for living a longer and healthier life.

Limiting Alcohol

Alcohol is a known cause of heart and liver issues, which are serious issues that ruin people’s lives. Reducing, or even removing alcohol from diets is a great choice for any adult. The Gateway Foundation states that limiting alcohol can reduce the damage to the circulatory system, as well as improving body functions and improving mental health. 

Overall, following all five of these helpful habits is a great way to help improve the chances of living a longer lifespan. It is important to keep a healthy lifestyle, no matter what happens in life.