An employee at the Target forensics lab in classic Target uniform.
The Target Forensics Lab
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 11, 2024

Target, just like many other retailers, has fallen victim to shoplifters, with almost a billion dollars...

Israeli protests stirred debate over Netanyahus position.
Israeli Citizens Demand a Ceasefire
Ethan Fulton, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Israeli citizens stormed central Jerusalem on Sunday, March 31 in the largest anti-government protest...

A cow.
Animals and People Across the Country Catch Bird Flu
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Across the United States, farm animals such as cows and chickens have been testing positive for a disease...

Ukrainian forces survey damage.
Republican Rep. Confident Ukraine Aid Will Make It to House Floor
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • April 5, 2024

Rep. Mike Lawler (R-NY) said in a recent CNN “State of the Union” interview that he was confident...

The finished product.
Blissful Brookies
Matthew Greco, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Cookies are amazing. You can put anything in them. Brownies are chocolatey goodness. They’re always...

Dan Schneider hugs a cast member.
Nickelodeon’s Dark Side
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Dan Schneider, director of many of the older Nickelodeon shows like “iCarly,” “The Amanda Show!,”...

There were three racers who did not finish the race.
Australian Grand Prix 2024 Summed Up
Matthew Greco, Columnist • March 28, 2024

The Australian Grand Prix which took place over two days has just come to a close. This article covers...

The Worsening Mental Health of Today’s Society

Modern society has a worse mental state than ever before and the rise of people experiencing mental health issues has spiked.
Depiction of correlation between social media and mental health decline
MIT Sloan School

It has become more and more apparent that the mental health of the world has declined. Time says, “Almost a third of U.S. adults now report symptoms of either depression or anxiety, roughly three times as many as in 2019.” The causes of such a development have been noticed and mental health has risen to a place of utmost importance in society. Still, the problem persists.

The constant influx of media from sites like Facebook and TikTok has lessened people’s contact with the outside world, distancing people. According to the MIT Sloan School, “In total, the negative effect of Facebook on mental health appeared to be roughly 20% the magnitude of what is experienced by those who lose their job.” Socializing decreased during the COVID-19 pandemic, with many only having direct contact with family. Many still haven’t moved on from the isolationist lifestyle of the pandemic, which has taken a huge toll on mental health. According to KFF, four in 10 adults said they had constant anxiety and depression during that time.

The sudden spike can also be attributed to more people opening up about the mental struggles they are experiencing. A much higher number of people have attended therapy and entire sites have been founded to help them. My Denver Therapy states that about 42 million Americans went to therapy in 2021 alone. When mental health began to get more attention, people opened up about their struggles. As more people opened up, more data was collected, and the spike came. Concern over mental health has made people with these issues more accepted. When someone has a problem, nowadays people try to address it and solve it. 

The world is constantly erupting with tragic events around an isolated population that has affected people. The wars in Ukraine and Gaza have made many worry for the future; that constant worrying has begun to fester within people. Stress overall and the overwhelming issues of violence, inflation, and simply trying to live have evidently gotten to people.

Mental health has been in decline due to the new social organization of the world, the opening up of people with these issues, and the terrible events happening everywhere. If you or someone you love are struggling with mental health, the Horizon Sun encourages you to seek help from a licensed professional. For help and hope, contact the Teen Lifeline at 602-248-8336 (TEEN) or the national suicide hotline at 988.