Boys’ Soccer Finishes Off the Season with a Senior Night Triumph

Anthony Airdo, Columnist

The Horizon Honors Boys’ Soccer team fought the Canyon State Academy Rams, and finished off the season with tremendous victory. The game started with a closely fought first half, but the Eagles pulled ahead in the second half.

Canyon State made a successful shot early in the game, but was called offsides. Horizon Honors had a number of shots on goal, but was unable to score. The first half ended without any goals.

The game picked up in the second half as Horizon Honors came in with strong offense. Sophomore Josh Drapkin quickly scored a goal within the first few minutes. This was followed by another goal by junior Nick Valdez. Freshman Alex Weixler made a goal that barely cut behind the goalie, squeezing into the tightest opening in the corner of the goal. Freshmen Aaron Tam continued the streak with a goal that flung past Canyon State’s defense. Canyon State’s goalie scored the final goal into their own net when it bounced off of his leg after a corner kick by junior Tony Salatino, sealing the 5-0 victory for the Eagles.

Junior Lucas Iosue was surprised, stating, “I thought they were going to demolish us, so I’m pretty satisfied with the outcome.” The game was hard fought by both sides, and it was a tense, exciting match.

After the game, Coach Paul Ringgenberg and the players had a small ceremony, and the senior players, Kole Powell, Austin Howard, and Connor Pendleton were honored with soccer balls, signed photos of the team, and some words about their performance over the course of their careers. “It was a total pleasure coaching these boys,” reflected Coach Ringgenberg.

“I have done this for four years, and I’ve never been more proud of a team my entire life and I feel deeply honored I got to captain and lead this team and I wouldn’t have rather had it end any other way,” shared senior Connor Pendleton.

Senior Kole Powell said, “I feel that we gave it all we had and it really paid off.”

soccer2

soccer3