Disney Broke Star Wars?

Courtesy of StarWars.com

Luke Culver, Student Opinion Editor

Disney is one of the world’s largest sources of entertainment. They have made movies like “Avengers: Endgame” and “Frozen”, two huge blockbuster hits. In 2012, Disney bought Star Wars, a popular film franchise. When Disney announced they would make a new trilogy of movies, everyone was over the moon. Skip ahead to present day- we have 3 disappointing movies, and the final movie in particular left a lot of plot holes. 

In Star Wars there is a power called the force, a mysterious ability to control things just by thinking. The new trilogy introduced a few new force abilities which take things too far. Force healing is a new concept brought into the Star Wars universe, but when you think about it, characters like Qui-Gon Jinn from “Star Wars: The Phantom Menace” and Mace Windu could still be alive. In fact, many characters could be alive if force healing was a real “Star Wars” force ability. Even Palpatine’s return in “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” could mean people like Mace Windu are still alive. 

Rey is one of the worst characters ever in many Star Wars fans’ opinion. She mastered everything a Jedi would train for as soon as she got a lightsaber, but usually the Jedi would spend years mastering the force, practicing their lightsaber skills, and piloting. Rey mastered all of this and more in the span of a couple of days, which ruins the character development. That’s another thing, there is little to no character development in these movies. The only character to go through any development is Kylo Ren, but many fans don’t like him because he is written like a whiny child.

Disney needs to stay away from big franchises so they don’t ruin them. Disney is slowly getting fans’ trust back with their series “The Mandalorian,” which is based on a bounty hunter who adopts a child. Only recently have we gotten a new hope with Star Wars’ original writer, George Lucas, possibly returning to regain full control, according to Cosmic Book News. Despite this, Star Wars still has a huge following and many fans hopeful for more faithful Star Wars media.