COVID vaccine before being administered.
COVID Vaccine Found to Have Three Links to Cardiac and Neurological Conditions
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • February 27, 2024

A new vaccine safety study has uncovered new side effects to many COVID vaccines. The effects, which...

Satellite menacingly headed towards Earth.
Forecast Shows Falling Satellite
Erin McGinty, Columnist • February 27, 2024

According to NPR, European Remote Sensing 2, (ERS-2), a European satellite launched in 1995, was recently...

The fossil was determined to be a fraud.
Famous Fossil or Art Project?
Joey Miller, Columnist • February 27, 2024

According to CNN, researchers say that a famous fossil has caused a scandal. The fossil was discovered...

Title screen for the new adaptation.
“Avatar: The Last Airbender” Live Action Debut
Jet Taft, Columnist • February 27, 2024

The Nickelodeon original “Avatar: The Last Airbender” (ATLA), which ran from 2005 to 2008, has finally...

Hind Rajab is one of many children killed in the war between Israel and Hamas.
Five-Year-Old Palestinian Girl Found Dead After Being Trapped Under Israeli Fire
Joey Miller, Columnist • February 16, 2024

Hind Rajab, a five-year-old girl, was found dead under a car in Gaza. On Jan. 29, 2024, Rajab and her...

Maison Des Champs climbing Sphere.
Man Scales Sphere
Erin McGinty, Columnist • February 16, 2024

On Feb. 7, a man by the name of Maison Des Champs, who uses the online name 'Pro-Life Spider-Man,' was...

Jon Stewart as host of The Daily Show.
Jon Stewart Returns to “The Daily Show”
Suhani Singla, Columnist • February 16, 2024

CNN states that after eight years of absence, Jon Stewart has returned to “The Daily Show,” a comedic...

Activist Group Defaces Mona Lisa

They demand that food be integrated into the social security net.
Protesters demanding reform to food security and sustainability threw soup on the glass protecting the Mona Lisa.
NBC News

At the Louvre in central Paris, two protesters wearing t-shirts that read “food counterattack” approached the Mona Lisa, a sixteenth century painting by Leonardo da Vinci according to BBC News. They are part of an environmental protest called the Riposte Alimentaire (Food Counterattack in French) who called for the right to have healthy and sustainable food within the social security system. Activists threw soup at the painting before chanting “What is more important? Art, or the right to healthy and sustainable food?” Museum security immediately showed up and put black screens in front of the painting before they calmly evacuated the “Salle des Etats” room, which houses the painting. In an email statement, the Louvre Museum announced that the Mona Lisa painting was not harmed and was protected by armored glass. The museum would file a complaint but it is not clear if the complaint went to law enforcement or to the activist group.

The two women claimed responsibility for the stunt. In a series of statements Food Counterattack posted on X, formerly known as Twitter, stating that they wanted to draw attention to the fact that there is unsustainable food production and hunger in France, according to CNN News. The activist group also demanded that the government utilize a food card worth €150 ($162.83) to be given to citizens each month to be used on healthy food, thereby integrating food into the social security system and giving farmers decent pay in the process.

Food has become a major issue in France. Angry farmers are setting up road blockades using their tractors and are slowing down traffic in order for their voices to be heard. They are seeking remuneration for their produce, which in turn gives protection from cheap imports. Some farmers even threatened to converge on Paris starting on Monday. They would block the main roads that lead to the capital, in the first potential major domestic crisis for new Prime Minister Gabriel Attal according to NBC News.

French Cultural Minister Rachida Dati condemned the protest on X according to CNN News. She was furious that people would attempt to arguably ruin the most famous painting in the world. “The Mona Lisa, like our heritage, belongs to future generations,” as she wrote. “No cause can justify it being targeted!” Millions of visitors each year come to see the Leonardo da Vinci painting. People want to see the details and inspiration of the artwork. After the incident, she personally congratulated all of the Louvre employees engaged in the cleanup and supported them in doing so.