Natalie Smith signs with The Ohio State.
Diving into D-1: Horizon Honors’s Natalie Smith Signs with The Ohio State
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 25, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, Horizon Honors’s senior Natalie Smith announced her commitment to swim Division...

MacAlpines Diner and Soda Fountain is attempting to reopen after the pandemic.
Historic Phoenix Diner Makes Effort to Reopen
Mateo Olmos, Columnist • April 19, 2024

One of Phoenix's oldest diners and soda fountains, called MacAlpines, is trying to reopen for the first...

Hiram Grayam was killed in 1968.
1968 Killing of a Milkman Solved 56 Years Later
Joey Miller, Columnist • April 19, 2024

A Florida milkman by the name of Hiram "Ross" Grayam didn’t return home one night after his rounds....

Charles Leclercs new ice cream will be available in Italian stores.
Lec Ice Cream
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Charles Leclerc, a well known and highly successful Monegasque F1 driver, has recently created an ice...

Arizona abortion law has gone back in time.
Arizona’s New 160-Year-Old Abortion Law
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 19, 2024

Since the overturning of Roe v. Wade in 2022, many states have faced new abortion laws; Arizona is the...

The Bayer Leverkusen team celebrating their title with a cardboard cutout of the Bundesliga trophy.
Bayer Leverkusen Wins Historic First Bundesliga Title
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 19, 2024

On Sunday, April 14, 2024, a match between two top flight German soccer teams Bayer 04 Leverkusen and...

Several popular horror video games.
Horror’s Ability to Possess People
Jet Taft, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Horror, since the concept's creation, has captivated many. The spooky atmospheres, the thrill of adrenaline...

Activist Group Defaces Mona Lisa

They demand that food be integrated into the social security net.
Protesters demanding reform to food security and sustainability threw soup on the glass protecting the Mona Lisa.
NBC News

At the Louvre in central Paris, two protesters wearing t-shirts that read “food counterattack” approached the Mona Lisa, a sixteenth century painting by Leonardo da Vinci according to BBC News. They are part of an environmental protest called the Riposte Alimentaire (Food Counterattack in French) who called for the right to have healthy and sustainable food within the social security system. Activists threw soup at the painting before chanting “What is more important? Art, or the right to healthy and sustainable food?” Museum security immediately showed up and put black screens in front of the painting before they calmly evacuated the “Salle des Etats” room, which houses the painting. In an email statement, the Louvre Museum announced that the Mona Lisa painting was not harmed and was protected by armored glass. The museum would file a complaint but it is not clear if the complaint went to law enforcement or to the activist group.

The two women claimed responsibility for the stunt. In a series of statements Food Counterattack posted on X, formerly known as Twitter, stating that they wanted to draw attention to the fact that there is unsustainable food production and hunger in France, according to CNN News. The activist group also demanded that the government utilize a food card worth €150 ($162.83) to be given to citizens each month to be used on healthy food, thereby integrating food into the social security system and giving farmers decent pay in the process.

Food has become a major issue in France. Angry farmers are setting up road blockades using their tractors and are slowing down traffic in order for their voices to be heard. They are seeking remuneration for their produce, which in turn gives protection from cheap imports. Some farmers even threatened to converge on Paris starting on Monday. They would block the main roads that lead to the capital, in the first potential major domestic crisis for new Prime Minister Gabriel Attal according to NBC News.

French Cultural Minister Rachida Dati condemned the protest on X according to CNN News. She was furious that people would attempt to arguably ruin the most famous painting in the world. “The Mona Lisa, like our heritage, belongs to future generations,” as she wrote. “No cause can justify it being targeted!” Millions of visitors each year come to see the Leonardo da Vinci painting. People want to see the details and inspiration of the artwork. After the incident, she personally congratulated all of the Louvre employees engaged in the cleanup and supported them in doing so.