Honoring NHS Inductees

The new high school inductees for National Honor Society attended their Induction Ceremony in the MPR at 6 p.m.

National Honor Society Rose Lays on Certificate of an Inductee.

Jenny Park, Columnist

The National Honor Society (NHS) is an organization first established in 1921 to recognize outstanding high school students. It was founded on four pillars that serve as a foundation of the society: scholarship, leadership, service, and character. It is essentially an organization consisting of over a million high school student around the United States, U.S. territories, and Canada that emphasizes serving the community through volunteer efforts. Students who have been accepted as an inductee are highly involved members of the community. The ceremony was held to formally recognize the inductees’ accomplishments and activities.

On Thursday, May 10, the NHS inductees waited along the walls of the hallway with excited and nervous expressions. At 6 p.m., the crowd quieted down as club sponsor, Jessica Bradley, stepped up on stage. The students started to come from both sides of the MPR doors to sit in the two front rows of chairs. Bradley welcomed the crowd and students. When she finished, the microphone was handed to the guest speaker, Dr. Charles McLaughlin. He was the old faculty advisor for NHS and a teacher to many. He told a story about an old student who represented all four pillars as well as explaining each pillar in-depth. The story was touching and emotional to the crowd and encouraged students to keep the four pillars with them throughout their life even though they don’t continue in NHS.

After McLaughlin finished his speech, the candle lighting ceremony began. President Zach Asato started the ceremony with an introduction about NHS and then was followed after by Secretary Joy Pizorno. She lit the first two candles before she spoke about the first pillar: scholarship. Vice President Lindsay Zumwalt lit the next candle and spoke about leadership. Treasurer Noah Weiss spoke about service, and lastly, Asato spoke about character. As they finished lighting all five candles, the induction pledge was led by Pizorno. The inductees stood up, raised their right hands and repeated the National Honor Society Pledge. They sat back down and were called up moments after. They shook hands of both Asato and Zumwalt and received a yellow rose and a certificate of membership. The crowd applauded as they walked down the stage.

Friends and families took pictures and socialized. At the end of the ceremony, everyone was served refreshments.

The Horizon Sun: Why did you join NHS?

Asato: ”I joined National Honor Society because of the opportunities that I would be able to have to create positive social change in our community. Community service is a great way to get involved and help others in need. “

Zumwalt: “I joined NHS because I wanted to participate in the service activities with groups of students who are as passionate about serving the community as I am.”

The Sun: What do you do in NHS?

ZA: “In National Honor Society we work with other organizations in order to participate in volunteer activities. We participated in volunteer efforts at Race for the Cure, Feed My Starving Children, Relay for Life, and others.”

LZ: “In NHS, we do a variety of different service activities including Race for the Cure, Feed My Starving Children, and Pat’s Run.”

The Sun: What have you learned while being a part of NHS?

ZA: “In National Honor Society, we learn about how to be effective leaders and how to promote a healthy community. We try to embody the philosophies that are distinguished through the four pillars of NHS.”

LZ: “Being the Vice President of NHS I have learned how to inspire my peers to help the community while showing leadership, having good character, and continuing to excel with their scholarship.”