Chromebook Changeover

Initial survey results show that Horizon Honors students prefer the new Chrombooks over other laptops.

Jacinda Bringas, Columnist

With the arrival of new Chromebooks, many Horizon Honors students are faced with the challenge of learning how to work with the new system. This may have students missing the old laptops that the school has had throughout the years. So, which do students at Horizon Honors prefer? Of the 31 students surveyed, ranging from grades eight to twelve, and a majority of them prefered the new Chromebooks over the older laptops. Junior Rachelle Crutcher favors Chromebooks over the rest because,”They’re lighter and easier to use, since they run through Google.”

Still, a good number of students would rather be using the Macbooks again. Horizon Honors has had Macbooks for over eight years, and to some students, like eighth grader Kemily Mella, the Macs are just ”easier to navigate.”

The HP laptops have been at the school the longest, and students have had the most time to get used to them. HP is a much older system, but yields surprisingly better results than expected. Sophomore Sierra Reese said that the HPs are, ”easy to use and [to] get familiarized with.”

Currently, the Chromebooks are most popular among students, but this could change as students use the Chromebooks more. Although the new system has many student excited and pleased, there are still some students with mixed reviews regarding the Chromebooks. Secondary Master Teacher Cynthia Shaheen considered the change from a student’s perspective: ”It’s a disadvantage for the students who don’t know how to use Google Drive and Docs. But once you learn about it, there is so much expanded potential. It makes turning in assignments and connections with teachers easier, but students have to learn it to get it.”

Which School Laptop Do You Prefer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...