Protesters clash with police.
University Campuses Become Battlegrounds as Tensions over Gaza Rise
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • April 29, 2024

On Monday, April 23 police arrested 47 pro-Palestinian protesters at Yale in Connecticut. In a statement,...

The finished product.
Juicy Jell-O Cupcakes
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 29, 2024

Cupcakes and Jell-O are two classic American sweet treats. When you combine them, you get a sweet, Jell-O...

Natalie Smith signs with The Ohio State.
Diving into D-1: Horizon Honors’s Natalie Smith Signs with The Ohio State
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 25, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, Horizon Honors’s senior Natalie Smith announced her commitment to swim Division...

MacAlpines Diner and Soda Fountain is attempting to reopen after the pandemic.
Historic Phoenix Diner Makes Effort to Reopen
Mateo Olmos, Columnist • April 19, 2024

One of Phoenix's oldest diners and soda fountains, called MacAlpines, is trying to reopen for the first...

Hiram Grayam was killed in 1968.
1968 Killing of a Milkman Solved 56 Years Later
Joey Miller, Columnist • April 19, 2024

A Florida milkman by the name of Hiram "Ross" Grayam didn’t return home one night after his rounds....

Charles Leclercs new ice cream will be available in Italian stores.
Lec Ice Cream
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Charles Leclerc, a well known and highly successful Monegasque F1 driver, has recently created an ice...

Arizona abortion law has gone back in time.
Arizona’s New 160-Year-Old Abortion Law
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 19, 2024

Since the overturning of Roe v. Wade in 2022, many states have faced new abortion laws; Arizona is the...

Mike Johnson’s Election to Speaker ends Chaos in the House

After three weeks of chaos following the removal of former speaker Kevin McCarthy, GOP elects Louisiana representative, Mike Johnson, to the speakership.
New Speaker Mike Johnson makes his debut.
house.gov

The race for the speakership in the House of Representatives ended Wednesday, Oct. 25 when Louisiana representative Mike Johnson gained unanimous support from the Republican party, also referred to as the GOP, a feat which former contenders struggled to do. BBC reports that Kevin McCarthy was ousted as Speaker of the House by his own party after using Democrat votes to get a spending deal passed that would stop the government shutdown; this event was the final straw in a feud between McCarthy and Representative Matt Gaetz, a republican from Florida, over across-the-aisle cooperation. It should be noted that democrats did not leap to McCarthy’s defense due to their own “Broken Promises.” 

After several attempts by republican Jim Jordan from Ohio, Mike Johnson, a previously unknown representative, was elevated to the position of house speaker. Fox news reports that Mike Johnson was a previously unknown member of a hardliner group within the GOP who’s rapid ascension has given some grassroots GOP representatives a confidence boost. 

The Speaker of the House leads the House of Representatives and has a variety of responsibilities including setting the agenda, assigning positions, and rallying support behind certain initiatives, writes the BBC. Intelligent and skillful Speakers are able to make or break a party or President’s goals; along with being the most pivotal role in Washington, the speaker is also third in line for the presidency.

NBC reported that before Mike Johnson’s rise to the speakership, he held very little to no real leadership and experience. Mitt Romeny (R-Utah) commented on Johnson’s lack of experience and the House’s decision to appoint him. Johnson has a high voting record of supporting conservative-GOP goals and bills, and he has opposed many bills that have garnered support from moderate republicans like the Respect for Marriage act, which protected same-sex marriage, which NPR reports gained “unexpected” republican support. Johnson is also a supporter of the former President Donald Trump and backs his goal to overturn the 2020 election. As stated above, Johnson has almost universal support from republicans in Congress and hopes to lead a party of both moderates and hardliners. As a devout Christian, Fox news reports that many of Johnson’s views on social issues align with many Evangelical views. Johnson was a college professor and a constitutional lawyer prior to his election in 2016. 

With a government shutdown quickly approaching, it will be up to Speaker Mike Johnson to negotiate a bipartisan plan to prevent the shutdown. Johnson has seemed to gain respect and confidence from fellow members of the GOP, but only time can truly tell if the greenhorn speaker will be a success or failure.