MacAlpines Diner and Soda Fountain is attempting to reopen after the pandemic.
Historic Phoenix Diner Makes Effort to Reopen
Mateo Olmos, Columnist • April 19, 2024

One of Phoenix's oldest diners and soda fountains, called MacAlpines, is trying to reopen for the first...

Hiram Grayam was killed in 1968.
1968 Killing of a Milkman Solved 56 Years Later
Joey Miller, Columnist • April 19, 2024

A Florida milkman by the name of Hiram "Ross" Grayam didn’t return home one night after his rounds....

Charles Leclercs new ice cream will be available in Italian stores.
Lec Ice Cream
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Charles Leclerc, a well known and highly successful Monegasque F1 driver, has recently created an ice...

Arizona abortion law has gone back in time.
Arizona’s New 160-Year-Old Abortion Law
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 19, 2024

Since the overturning of Roe v. Wade in 2022, many states have faced new abortion laws; Arizona is the...

The Bayer Leverkusen team celebrating their title with a cardboard cutout of the Bundesliga trophy.
Bayer Leverkusen Wins Historic First Bundesliga Title
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 19, 2024

On Sunday, April 14, 2024, a match between two top flight German soccer teams Bayer 04 Leverkusen and...

Several popular horror video games.
Horror’s Ability to Possess People
Jet Taft, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Horror, since the concept's creation, has captivated many. The spooky atmospheres, the thrill of adrenaline...

Biden announces his cancellation of student debt.
Biden Unveils New Student Loan Forgiveness Plan
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • April 19, 2024

On April 12, President Joe Biden announced that he would be canceling the debt of 277,000 borrowers....

Kats Korner Spotlight

Bennett and Beth at Kats Korner, used with permission by Bennett Wood

Horizon Honors is known for the quirkiness of its students and their pastimes, so a recent dance craze for jazz and swing at our school isn’t exactly a surprise. A growing number of Horizonites have spent their Saturday nights at Kats Korner, a swing dancing club operating out of the New Horizon School for Performing Arts on Saturday nights. Kats Korner opened in 2002 in their current tiny venue, providing a select crowd of eager young dancers and skilled older folks a place to interact and learn from each other. Kats, as it’s called by regulars, has grown tremendously in the last few years, with lots of help from Horizon students. Stephanie Yamamoto, grade 12, has been swing dancing for the last three years. “Basically, I am addicted to swing dancing,” she explained. “It’s hard to focus on anything negative when you’re whirling around the dance floor. And it really isn’t as hard as it looks; you can get away with dancing the night away by knowing the basic step and turns.”

As for the growing number of her peers joining her on the dance floor, she said, “I just think Horizon kids are braver when it comes to trying things that are unconventional and new to them.” Bennett Wood, grade 10, is a new but devoted dancer. “I started attending the Kats Korner sometime in mid-September,” he told me. “The students at Horizon have been coming to Kats for a fun new experience and to learn something new!”

It’s certainly a learning process; every night at Kats starts out with a lesson at 7 o’clock where the club’s manager, Dabney Hopkins, gives a beginning lesson that builds into a new intermediate dance move each week. The lesson transitions into free dance, when the veterans arrive and mingle with new dancers. While Kats attracts a surprisingly young crowd, there are still plenty of older dancers who jived their way through the swing craze the first time around and have returned to help revive the scene. Wood expressed his excitement at what this means for the development of his own skills: “Personally, starting as a sophomore in high school is exciting because that means I can only improve from here. Some people who attend Kats are well into their 30’s or even their 40’s and 50’s. When I grow older, I want to be just like them.” Kats has hosted several competitions and events with live bands over the last few years, and celebrated their 13th birthday last month. Coming up soon is their 1950’s prom on May 11th, an event with a live Buddy Holly cover band and a jiving lesson from national swing champions. If you’re interested in giving Kats a swing, visit their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kats-Korner /331711830071?fref=ts and come find yourself on their dance floor.