The Benefit Is in the Blood

What all have, but some need: blood.

Courtesy of Villa Grove CUSD #302

Amber Fretwell, Columnist

Horizon Honors Pre-Med Club is hosting an annual blood drive on Tuesday, Oct. 23, and they need all the help they can get. The blood drive will take place from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the multipurpose room for students age 16 or older; parents are also welcome to participate. If a student is under the age of 18, a  signed permission slip from an adult guardian is necessary for the student’s eligibility. Certain weight and height requirements must be also met so the right amount of blood can be taken without issue. If you do not meet these requirements, you may not be allowed to have your blood drawn at all, so make sure to check them out ahead of time. After checking all specifications, be sure to take the time out of your late start, early release, or scholastic lab to donate blood for those in need.

There are several benefits to donating blood that the average person may not know about. According to Rasmussen College, donating blood allows for a free testing of your blood. So, you may discover health problems you aren’t aware of. You will get a mini check-up before the process begins to make sure you are eligible. If your iron levels are too low, you may not be able to give blood because, according to UCSF Health, iron carries oxygen from our lungs to the rest of our body tissues. People with high iron levels are recommended to donate blood so their levels can balance out. Rasmussen College also states that donating blood can improve your mental state of mind.  The Mental Health Foundation found that donating blood can reduce stress and reduce negative feelings because the psychological fact that you are helping someone in need.

There are several reasons as to help out and donate blood for those in need, and there is opportunity for students and adults to come and help. Although some students are not eligible to donate, everyone should spread the word to friends, family, and faculty as this drive is quite significant to many others throughout our hospitals. All the blood donated is used to help someone, a driving force that should encourage people to talk to Ms. Bors or anyone in the Pre-Med club and sign up. There is no fee for this event, and, due to the simple process, will take no time out of your day.