My Fondest Farewell
My Fondest Farewell
Carsten Oyer, Editor-in-Chief • May 24, 2024

Five years ago I entered the computer lab here on campus for the first time. I was attending the class...

My Last Article
My Last Article
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • May 24, 2024

Dear Horizon Honors, In Journalism, farewell articles are reserved for those who have spent a significant...

Daniel Duggan is under suspicion of betraying the U.S.
Former U.S. Marine Arrested in Australia after Unknowingly Working with a Chinese Hacker
Joey Miller, Columnist • May 21, 2024

A former United States Marine pilot fighting extradition from Australia to the U.S. was charged with...

Mary Alice Pultz has been identified as a dead body found decades ago.
Authorities in Florida Identify Remains of Woman Last Seen 40 Years Ago
Ethan Fulton, Columnist • May 21, 2024

In 1985, human remains were found on a beach in St. Johns County, Florida. On May 12, police were able...

Israels actions in the Gaza Strip are worthy of being called genocidal.
Israel Has Chosen Criminality
Carsten Oyer, Editor-in-Chief • May 21, 2024

It would be disingenuous to say that the Oct. 7, 2023 terror attack on Israel sparked the current war...

The aurora borealis could be seen in Arizona recently.
Aurora Borealis Visible in Arizona
Eli Geist, Columnist • May 21, 2024

Many travel far north just to get a glimpse of the aurora borealis; however, recently the amazing spectacle...

Squad Busters is a new game from Supercell.
New Supercell Game: “Squad Busters”
Matthew Greco, Columnist • May 21, 2024

The popular mobile game company Supercell just announced a new game currently in development called “Squad...

Mice Taught to Fear Blossoms

Mice show that fears and phobias may be passed down through generations.
Mice are helping to discover the science of fear.
Bloomberg

Like most animals, mice are innocent to the human world. Without knowing how anything works, unlike humans they don’t understand the concepts of physics or fear. This is what made scientists test mice in order to see if fears can be passed down from generation to generation.

According to The Washington Post, the experiment worked by taking male mice and making them fear the scent of cherry blossoms. They did this by mildly shocking their feet. This caused them to fear the smell of the blossoms. Two weeks later, after being trained to fear the blossoms, they bred with female mice and out popped the babies.

New Science says that these babies became more fearful and jumpy around the smell of cherry blossoms. They had the common receptor from the fathers. The scientists called this receptor M71. This receptor appeared more in the offspring than it did in the parents and grandparents.

Many people point out that this could be natural selection and mice that avoid the cherry blossoms survive and reproduce, and those who don’t die. This could also be the same for humans. That could be why people have phobias or fears. Fears may be passed down from generation to generation to protect people from things that could harm them. Some of these fears could be outdated since society has technology that renders these fears unnecessary, like smelling cherry blossoms. These studies show how fears may not actually be something to fear but just something one’s ancestors once feared.