COVID vaccine before being administered.
COVID Vaccine Found to Have Three Links to Cardiac and Neurological Conditions
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • February 27, 2024

A new vaccine safety study has uncovered new side effects to many COVID vaccines. The effects, which...

Satellite menacingly headed towards Earth.
Forecast Shows Falling Satellite
Erin McGinty, Columnist • February 27, 2024

According to NPR, European Remote Sensing 2, (ERS-2), a European satellite launched in 1995, was recently...

The fossil was determined to be a fraud.
Famous Fossil or Art Project?
Joey Miller, Columnist • February 27, 2024

According to CNN, researchers say that a famous fossil has caused a scandal. The fossil was discovered...

Title screen for the new adaptation.
“Avatar: The Last Airbender” Live Action Debut
Jet Taft, Columnist • February 27, 2024

The Nickelodeon original “Avatar: The Last Airbender” (ATLA), which ran from 2005 to 2008, has finally...

Hind Rajab is one of many children killed in the war between Israel and Hamas.
Five-Year-Old Palestinian Girl Found Dead After Being Trapped Under Israeli Fire
Joey Miller, Columnist • February 16, 2024

Hind Rajab, a five-year-old girl, was found dead under a car in Gaza. On Jan. 29, 2024, Rajab and her...

Maison Des Champs climbing Sphere.
Man Scales Sphere
Erin McGinty, Columnist • February 16, 2024

On Feb. 7, a man by the name of Maison Des Champs, who uses the online name 'Pro-Life Spider-Man,' was...

Jon Stewart as host of The Daily Show.
Jon Stewart Returns to “The Daily Show”
Suhani Singla, Columnist • February 16, 2024

CNN states that after eight years of absence, Jon Stewart has returned to “The Daily Show,” a comedic...

History of Memes

An example of the meme Bad Luck Brian, joking about an incident in Journalism this year.
An example of the meme ‘Bad Luck Brian”, joking about an incident in Journalism this year.

Internet memes have been a part of surfing the web since the early 2000s. Memes are typically photos with funny captions to enhance the hidden humor in the original image. Memes can also be websites, viral videos, and parodies. They have a large history that dates back all the way to the 1870s. Photographer Harry Whittier Frees took pictures of his cats and turned them into greeting cards by adding funny captions. Richard Dawkins defined memes in his 1976 book The Selfish Gene, explaining that memes are used to explain the way cultural information spreads. Dawkins had compared memes to genes and evolution; they can become extinct or grow with society. Christopher Poole, the creator of the imageboard website 4chan, has been known as the creator of the memes we see today. Since 2003, his website has been the original site for a large portion of the memes out currently.

An example of a meme is LOLcats; memes that use cats and improper grammar captions. LOLcats first made its appearance on the website 4chan in 2006. Ermahgerd, a fairly recently meme like LOLcats, became popular for being captioned on silly pictures of animals. Other memes include Epic Fail!, Rickrolling, This is Sparta, I Regret Nothing, Bad Luck Brian, and Y U No Guy. Though a large portion of the popular memes are images, there is one other type of meme everyone knows. Gangnam Style by Korean rapper PSY is actually considered a meme because of the humor that made the video go viral, the most viewed and most popular one out today.

Over the years, memes have developed from simple postcards to online phenomena. Memes have hit the Internet, they’ve changed our boring lives and helped us find humor within a few phrases.  Don’t think that memes will stop making us laugh anytime soon; they will continue to evolve with our society and help form pop culture as well.

View Comments (1)