My Fondest Farewell
My Fondest Farewell
Carsten Oyer, Editor-in-Chief • May 24, 2024

Five years ago I entered the computer lab here on campus for the first time. I was attending the class...

My Last Article
My Last Article
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • May 24, 2024

Dear Horizon Honors, In Journalism, farewell articles are reserved for those who have spent a significant...

Daniel Duggan is under suspicion of betraying the U.S.
Former U.S. Marine Arrested in Australia after Unknowingly Working with a Chinese Hacker
Joey Miller, Columnist • May 21, 2024

A former United States Marine pilot fighting extradition from Australia to the U.S. was charged with...

Mary Alice Pultz has been identified as a dead body found decades ago.
Authorities in Florida Identify Remains of Woman Last Seen 40 Years Ago
Ethan Fulton, Columnist • May 21, 2024

In 1985, human remains were found on a beach in St. Johns County, Florida. On May 12, police were able...

Israels actions in the Gaza Strip are worthy of being called genocidal.
Israel Has Chosen Criminality
Carsten Oyer, Editor-in-Chief • May 21, 2024

It would be disingenuous to say that the Oct. 7, 2023 terror attack on Israel sparked the current war...

The aurora borealis could be seen in Arizona recently.
Aurora Borealis Visible in Arizona
Eli Geist, Columnist • May 21, 2024

Many travel far north just to get a glimpse of the aurora borealis; however, recently the amazing spectacle...

Squad Busters is a new game from Supercell.
New Supercell Game: “Squad Busters”
Matthew Greco, Columnist • May 21, 2024

The popular mobile game company Supercell just announced a new game currently in development called “Squad...

Student Writes Love Letters to Strangers

Recent college graduate Hannah Brencher is fighting her depression and anxiety by reaching out to others through random love letters. Brencher and her More Love Letters campaign are part of a growing number of organizations concentrating on the beneficial effects of random acts of kindness for givers as well as receivers.”Sometimes people would give a small gift to somebody, or picking somebody up from work, visiting sick people, thanking a bus driver. They were actually fairly small acts,” explained Dr Alden, a researcher from the University of British Columbia. In a recent study led by Dr.Alden, volunteers with high levels of social anxiety were asked to commit multiple acts of kindness on two days a week over a four-week period.They were supposed to commit certain tasks that were outside of their comfort zone, like going out as a group with friends, or shopping in new place. Brencher participated in these studies when she was trying to focus on helping others.

Most of Brencher’s speeches focus on how humans should be more attached to each other. While waiting for the mail, she would write her thoughts down about her day and how she felt and whatever else happened. When Brencher started college, life became too stressful for her and she launched into a deep depression. She began writing down not only her thoughts, but also letters to strangers who might be struggling in similar ways.

Brencher starts her letters with the following: “You and I don’t know one another. We may never laugh over a cup of coffee. We may never dance in the same circles or yawn together by the midnight hour. But none of that matters to me…” She goes on to say how the person reading her letter is thinking how crazy she is for doing that and how they’ll never know what shes really like. How she knows what she deserves and why. She ends the letter by telling the person how they matter to her, no matter who they are and what they’ve done. “You matter to me. In a way I cannot explain, you matter to me. And you, you are a marvel… you and all the parts of you.

Love,

A girl just trying to find her way”