An employee at the Target forensics lab in classic Target uniform.
The Target Forensics Lab
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 11, 2024

Target, just like many other retailers, has fallen victim to shoplifters, with almost a billion dollars...

Israeli protests stirred debate over Netanyahus position.
Israeli Citizens Demand a Ceasefire
Ethan Fulton, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Israeli citizens stormed central Jerusalem on Sunday, March 31 in the largest anti-government protest...

A cow.
Animals and People Across the Country Catch Bird Flu
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Across the United States, farm animals such as cows and chickens have been testing positive for a disease...

Ukrainian forces survey damage.
Republican Rep. Confident Ukraine Aid Will Make It to House Floor
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • April 5, 2024

Rep. Mike Lawler (R-NY) said in a recent CNN “State of the Union” interview that he was confident...

The finished product.
Blissful Brookies
Matthew Greco, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Cookies are amazing. You can put anything in them. Brownies are chocolatey goodness. They’re always...

Dan Schneider hugs a cast member.
Nickelodeon’s Dark Side
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Dan Schneider, director of many of the older Nickelodeon shows like “iCarly,” “The Amanda Show!,”...

There were three racers who did not finish the race.
Australian Grand Prix 2024 Summed Up
Matthew Greco, Columnist • March 28, 2024

The Australian Grand Prix which took place over two days has just come to a close. This article covers...

Iceland’s Impending Eruption

Recent seismic activity suggests that Iceland may experience yet another massive volcanic eruption.
Tourists sitting next to an Iceland volcano that has already erupted.
Forbes

The island nation of Iceland is home to a variety of different natural wonders, including its mountains, rocky coasts, snowy tundras, and volcanoes. Volcanic activity has been a major part of Iceland’s history, as there have been many large eruptions in the past. Molten lava is constantly spewing out from one of Iceland’s 32 active volcanoes, Visit Iceland wrote. Recently, threats of a major eruption have caused fear amongst the government and locals alike. 

Since late October, there have been thousands of earthquakes surrounding the Fagradalsfjall Volcano on the Reykjanes Peninsula in southern Iceland. According to NPR, over 20,000 earthquakes have been recorded since Oct. 24. There were over 2,000 earthquakes recorded in a 48 hour period between Saturday, Nov. 11 and Sunday, Nov 12. Volcanologists in the region noticed that the earthquake strength began to pick up on Friday, Nov. 10, which has caused destruction to the region. Volcanologists believe that the earthquakes are strengthening as magma rises closer to the surface. 

Due to the imminent threat of a massive eruption, the Icelandic government has taken measures to protect the citizens of Iceland. The New York Times reported that the town of Grindavík, home to around 4,000 people, was forced to evacuate as the strength of the earthquakes worsened and the threat of eruption grew larger. Grindavík is only 32 miles away from Iceland’s capital and largest city, Reykjavík. The Icelandic government has also placed an evacuation warning on many cities on the Reykjanes Peninsula, including Reykjavík. Iceland’s famous Blue Lagoon was also shut down due to the eruption risks. Despite all the closures and evacuation warnings, Iceland is still operating its largest airport, despite some safety restrictions being put on the region. 

The amount of magma underneath the Fagradalsfjall volcano has been growing over the last 1,000 years, and is likely part of a new cycle of volcanic eruptions for Iceland. Live Science states that the eruption is likely to cause more volcanic activity across the island of Iceland for many years to come. The millennium long build up is part of a repeat cycle of previous volcanic activity in the region.  In 2021, the Fagradalsfjall volcano erupted, kicking off a chain of other volcanic activity across the island. Since the 2021 eruption, even more magma has compiled beneath the volcano. There remains a possibility that the volcano won’t erupt, due to it being part of a lava tunnel. If the tunnel cools down, then there won’t be an eruption.

Nature is showing signs of another volcanic eruption on the Icelandic island. Scientists, the Icelandic government, and the Icelandic people are taking all measures possible to prevent terrible harm should the eruption occur.