Post Malone and Morgan Wallen performing.
The Resurgence of Country Music
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • May 15, 2024

For a long time, country music was unpopular amongst music listeners. Whether it be for the repetitive...

Canelo is a strong contender in the ring.
Canelo Alvarez Remains the Face of Boxing
Jaslene Galindo, Columnist • May 15, 2024

Canelo Alvarez, from Guadalajara, Mexico, is the super middleweight champion of the world, says Boxing...

Protesters confront police.
The Rights and Responsibilities of Those Battling Injustice
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • May 9, 2024

University administrations are faced with a critical decision to preserve the fundamental rights of Americans...

Sierra Leone and Forever Young.
Jockey Could Face Discipline for Actions during 2024 Kentucky Derby
Ethan Fulton, Columnist • May 9, 2024

Jockey Tyler Gaffalione could possibly face disciplinary actions for his horse, Sierra Leone in the Kentucky...

Planes land at the Phoenix Sky Harbor airport.
Phoenix Sky Harbor to Build a New Terminal
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • May 9, 2024

Phoenix Sky Harbor is one of America’s busiest airports year in and year out. The airport, nicknamed...

The saiga antelope in its native habitat.
Saiga Antelope Officially Off Red List
Erin McGinty, Columnist • May 7, 2024

20 years ago, the Saiga Antelope was put on the red list for nearing extinction. Poachers across Eurasia...

An infographic concerning the Bird Flu.
Bird Flu (H5N1) Outbreak Information
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • May 3, 2024

City of Phoenix approves construction for a new international-focused terminal.
Phoenix Sky Harbor

Phoenix Sky Harbor is one of America’s busiest airports year in and year out. The airport, nicknamed “America’s Friendliest Airport,” has experienced a large increase in passengers passing through the airport each year. To help ease the traffic on passengers, the Phoenix City Council has approved a project to build a new terminal at Sky Harbor.

The new terminal is being constructed to help ease the rising demand at Sky Harbor, says Arizona’s Family. In 2023, over 48 million passengers passed through the airport, which was the most in the airport’s history. Early reports suggest that the terminal would feature somewhere between 40 to 60 gates. One proposed design features a sky train station in the middle, with gates surrounding it. The terminal is set to be constructed on the west end of the airport, near where the former terminals one and two used to be located before they were demolished in 1990 and 2020. Included with the terminal would be a new concourse in terminal three, and a runway extension. This marks the first major construction at Sky Harbor since 1990.

The terminal will also have a large focus on international travel in and out of Phoenix. Simple Flying states that there have been 22 more international flights per week at Phoenix than there were in 2019. Flights to countries like France, Germany, and the United Kingdom all draw a lot of people to the airport, so the terminal is set to help ease the pains that come with it. The terminal will feature a new customs and immigration facility, as well as having an aim to be net-zero to cut down on the emissions from long-distance flights.

While the idea of a new terminal seems exciting, passengers are going to have to wait a minimum of six years before construction begins. According to KTAR News, the city is going to have to wait before building the terminal due to planning, designing, and environmental preparation, all of which take years to complete. Construction is expected to begin sometime after 2030, and no projected finishing date has yet been released.

Even though the terminal isn’t going to start construction for a while, it isn’t far-fetched to say that it will likely have a large impact on the overall airport experience at Sky Harbor.