Maricopa’s Got Talent (And a Good Cause)

Photo credit: Kelleigh Hogan © 2013

Senior Aubrey Chaston talks about her work to help Against Abuse, an organization which is trying to help those affected by domestic violence. On Dec. 7, Maricopa’s Got Talent will be held at Maricopa High School by selling tickets to the performance.

Kelleigh Hogan, Editor-in-Chief

You must have heard of America’s Got Talent and Britain’s Got Talent, but have you heard of Maricopa’s Got Talent? Senior Aubrey Chaston and father Jim Chaston are organizing a talent show to benefit those affected by domestic violence in Maricopa. By selling tickets, Chaston truly hopes to make a difference.

On Dec. 7, Maricopa’s Got Talent will be hosted at Maricopa High School’s performing arts center. Judges spent twelve hours watching auditions and evaluating performances to narrow down the acts from thirty to sixteen. The performances range from singing and piano to guitar and dance. Against Abuse, which will benefit from Maricopa’s Got Talent, is working towards building a shelter for women and children who suffered from domestic abuse. This event will accompany a gala and run. Chaston is glad to help her community promote the performing arts and help victims of domestic violence.

Chaston planned the event, created flyers, tickets, and found judges. Frustrated by the lack of programs for performing arts, she wanted to show that Maricopa truly does have talent. She wanted to use her leadership qualities to help out her community. “I feel like I live there and I live around all these people, so I feel like I should try to make our city a better place. It’s my responsibility because I live there.”

Come and support a Horizon Honors Student and a great cause at Maricopa High School (45012 W Honeycutt Road in Maricopa) on Dec. 7 at 7 pm.