A Blast from the Past: HHMS Social

Horizon Honors middle school students were able to dress up in outfits from their favorite decade as a part of the “Flashback Friday” theme.

Jake Matise, Sports Editor

The Horizon Honors middle school student council hosted their first social of the school year, “Flashback Friday,” on Friday, Sept. 4, at 6 p.m. in the multi-purpose room. For the admission price of seven dollars, seventh and eighth grade students were able to participate in an evening of food, fun, and music. Activities for students to participate in included a ring toss, dancing, and pizza and drinks, all while socializing with friends old and new alike.

According to seventh grade student council member Camryn Marshall, the council took a vote, which confirmed that the “Flashback Friday” theme was the most popular idea for the social. It took about a week to gather the materials for set up the multi-purpose room for the social, stated Marshall. “We have everything set up, and we’ll see how it goes,” commented Marshall on the possible success of the night.

Popular tunes could be heard upon entering the multi-purpose room Friday night. Some students elected to dress up from their favorite decade, while others chose not to. Either way, the guests seemed to be enjoying themselves while eating pizza and playing games. Eighth grader David Syms said he came to the social because he enjoys meeting new people as he walked to grab a slice of pizza.

This is the first social of the year, with more to follow. According to seventh grade student council member Alessandro Delgado, the student council was hoping to raise one hundred dollars from ticket sales into the event. “We’re going to put the money towards other socials in the future,” said Delgado. Laura Owes, Science teacher and student council adviser, stated why she believes students attend this event, “Probably the food, and it gives kids the opportunity to come and be crazy.” Middle school students can look for more socials with different themes coming up as the school year progresses.