Hind Rajab is one of many children killed in the war between Israel and Hamas.
Five-Year-Old Palestinian Girl Found Dead After Being Trapped Under Israeli Fire
Joey Miller, Columnist • February 16, 2024

Hind Rajab, a five-year-old girl, was found dead under a car in Gaza. On Jan. 29, 2024, Rajab and her...

Maison Des Champs climbing Sphere.
Man Scales Sphere
Erin McGinty, Columnist • February 16, 2024

On Feb. 7, a man by the name of Maison Des Champs, who uses the online name 'Pro-Life Spider-Man,' was...

Jon Stewart as host of The Daily Show.
Jon Stewart Returns to “The Daily Show”
Suhani Singla, Columnist • February 16, 2024

CNN states that after eight years of absence, Jon Stewart has returned to “The Daily Show,” a comedic...

Lakewood Church is the latest location of gun violence.
Shootout at Lakewood Church Leaves Two in Critical Condition
Ethan Fulton, Columnist • February 16, 2024

On the afternoon of Sunday, Feb. 11, a 36-year-old woman in a trench coat, named Genesse Ivonne Moreno,...

Super Bowl LVIII was a nail biter for both teams.
Chiefs Take Victory at the Super Bowl
Jet Taft, Columnist • February 16, 2024

The 2024 Super Bowl was the 58th installment of a long line of National Football League championships....

The Apple Vision Pro is a strange device with dangers for society.
Apple's Dystopian Device
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • February 16, 2024

The Apple Vision Pro is a first-of-its-kind mixed reality headset, which was announced on June 5, 2023....

The Supreme Court building in Washington, D.C.
Supreme Court to Decide on Trump Ballot Eligibility
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • February 16, 2024

The fundamental rights of Americans are under attack. This statement may sound extreme but it is true...

Old Wives’ Tales

Adaptation of photograph taken by Christopher Hsia, available under a Creative Commons Attribution and Attribution-ShareAlike license.Copyright © 2011 Christopher Hsia.

Old wives’ tales have been around for decades, and they were originally intended to scare children into doing what they were told. Today, people still believe these tales have value, and some may actually have unexpected benefits.

A common tale suggests that eating ice cream before you go to bed will lead to nightmares. This one can easily be proven false by the hundreds of people who eat ice cream before going to bed and don’t experience nightmares. This saying was used to reduce a child’s craving for ice cream by tricking him or her into thinking bad dreams came from ice cream. The only benefit from this tale is help to reduce a sweet tooth.

Most of us have heard that making silly faces will make your face stick that way. Your face cannot actually get stuck in any position unless you have face cramps or something similar, but for the majority of people this is not a problem, and nothing to worry about. This saying was primarily used by adults to keep their children from acting out and making faces. Today, it is used mostly by children to poke fun at one another and may partially prevent children from making faces in public and acting out. This saying is actually derived from a longer one that states if someone makes a silly face and the wind changes direction, the face will get stuck in that position.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away is another popular  statement that has more value than many assume. An apple contains nutrients that help support a healthy immune system, but also come with an added bonus, unknown to most people. A chemical found in apples called phenolic has beneficial properties that actually help protect DNA strands in human cells and boosts resistance to breaking and becoming corrupted. This reduced chance of functional failure in the DNA can help prevent types of cancer and will indeed keep a doctor away.

All of these rules in some way or another have benefits and are rooted in a social or physical truth. Even though they may be small, there are benefits in following the advice of old wives’ tales.