Is TikTok Overrated?

TikTok has two billion users… but is it overrated?

NBC News

People have mixed opinions on the worldwide phenomenon TikTok.

Abbi Prieto, Columnist

TikTok became a worldwide phenomenon in November 2018, when it merged with China’s social media service, Musical.ly. Users can create and share 3 to 60-second videos, using hashtags to reach as many other users as possible.  Its popularity is nearly unmatched; according to CNBC, users in the U.S. have risen 800% since January 2018.  There is a big question though: is it overrated? Horizon Honors students offered their opinions:

• There is nothing that I don’t like about it. I’d actually love to have it but when I asked my dad if I could get TikTok when it became popular, he told me no. It sort of shut me down, but the more time I took my mind off of it I realized how addicted the people with TikTok were.
  • I love the idea of doing fun dances and wasting a couple minutes scrolling through the “For You” page.
  • I used to have TikTok on my phone, but I deleted it. TikTok became a waste of my time and did nothing to help me. I enjoyed watching the videos and recreating some, but I don’t need it. I often just watch and make TikToks on my friends phone.
  • I’ve tried it, and I think it’s just a waste of time. It causes people to look through short videos throughout the day, which could build up into hours of time lost. Unlike more saturated types of fun, which are good for relaxing the brain and can build various skills, apps like TikTok don’t have any benefits, and distract from other tasks. Additionally, it leads to lots of social problems, with people either doing stupid and dangerous stuff or feeling left out and bad about themselves.
  • I would get it now, but it’s unnecessary. It’s a distraction and hasn’t had any educational videos until now.
  • I think that all social media is a waste of time. They collect your personal data, it is a breeding ground for negativity and hate, and it gives teens unrealistic social norms to try and conform to.
  • Something I do not like about it is sometimes people post stupid stuff or offensive stuff and people can also post inappropriate things on TikTok.
  • I really don’t get the obsession about it.

From DIYs to tutorials to pranks, TikTok offers a lot of different content.  Opinions vary greatly on its value.