Natalie Smith signs with The Ohio State.
Diving into D-1: Horizon Honors’s Natalie Smith Signs with The Ohio State
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 25, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, Horizon Honors’s senior Natalie Smith announced her commitment to swim Division...

MacAlpines Diner and Soda Fountain is attempting to reopen after the pandemic.
Historic Phoenix Diner Makes Effort to Reopen
Mateo Olmos, Columnist • April 19, 2024

One of Phoenix's oldest diners and soda fountains, called MacAlpines, is trying to reopen for the first...

Hiram Grayam was killed in 1968.
1968 Killing of a Milkman Solved 56 Years Later
Joey Miller, Columnist • April 19, 2024

A Florida milkman by the name of Hiram "Ross" Grayam didn’t return home one night after his rounds....

Charles Leclercs new ice cream will be available in Italian stores.
Lec Ice Cream
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Charles Leclerc, a well known and highly successful Monegasque F1 driver, has recently created an ice...

Arizona abortion law has gone back in time.
Arizona’s New 160-Year-Old Abortion Law
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 19, 2024

Since the overturning of Roe v. Wade in 2022, many states have faced new abortion laws; Arizona is the...

The Bayer Leverkusen team celebrating their title with a cardboard cutout of the Bundesliga trophy.
Bayer Leverkusen Wins Historic First Bundesliga Title
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 19, 2024

On Sunday, April 14, 2024, a match between two top flight German soccer teams Bayer 04 Leverkusen and...

Several popular horror video games.
Horror’s Ability to Possess People
Jet Taft, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Horror, since the concept's creation, has captivated many. The spooky atmospheres, the thrill of adrenaline...

Famous Fossil or Art Project?

A 280-billion-year-old fossil may have just been exposed as a scandal.
The fossil was determined to be a fraud.
CNN

According to CNN, researchers say that a famous fossil has caused a scandal. The fossil was discovered in the Italian Alps in 1931 and was thought to be a Tridentinosaurus antiquus. Scientists believed that the dark outline and lizard-like body encased in rock was skin and soft tissue, but little did they know that they were in for a surprise.

Over the decades, the fossil was mentioned in books and article citations, but no one really looked at it up close. A new detailed analysis showed researchers that the black outline was not skin and soft tissue, and in fact was actually just black paint covering a couple of bones.

When the fossil was discovered, researchers thought that the fossil might provide a rare glimpse into reptilian evolution, according to CNN.  “The fossil was believed to be unique because there were no other examples from the same geographical area and geological period of that preservation in a fossil vertebrate at the time,” Dr. Valentina Rossi told CNN.

There were a couple of misconceptions about the specimen. The specimen lacked visible bones, including the skull, even though the body didn’t appear completely flat. “A plausible explanation was that the bones were hidden below the layer of skin and thus not visible,” Rossi said. “Coating fossils with varnish is an ancient method of preservation because, in the past, there were no other suitable methods to protect fossils from natural decay,” study co-author Mariagabriella Fornasiero told CNN.

The Tridentinosaurus antiquus proves that science opens up a world of truth. The discovery of this fossil’s actual status changes the game in archeology.