An employee at the Target forensics lab in classic Target uniform.
The Target Forensics Lab
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 11, 2024

Target, just like many other retailers, has fallen victim to shoplifters, with almost a billion dollars...

Israeli protests stirred debate over Netanyahus position.
Israeli Citizens Demand a Ceasefire
Ethan Fulton, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Israeli citizens stormed central Jerusalem on Sunday, March 31 in the largest anti-government protest...

A cow.
Animals and People Across the Country Catch Bird Flu
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Across the United States, farm animals such as cows and chickens have been testing positive for a disease...

Ukrainian forces survey damage.
Republican Rep. Confident Ukraine Aid Will Make It to House Floor
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • April 5, 2024

Rep. Mike Lawler (R-NY) said in a recent CNN “State of the Union” interview that he was confident...

The finished product.
Blissful Brookies
Matthew Greco, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Cookies are amazing. You can put anything in them. Brownies are chocolatey goodness. They’re always...

Dan Schneider hugs a cast member.
Nickelodeon’s Dark Side
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Dan Schneider, director of many of the older Nickelodeon shows like “iCarly,” “The Amanda Show!,”...

There were three racers who did not finish the race.
Australian Grand Prix 2024 Summed Up
Matthew Greco, Columnist • March 28, 2024

The Australian Grand Prix which took place over two days has just come to a close. This article covers...

Famous Fossil or Art Project?

A 280-billion-year-old fossil may have just been exposed as a scandal.
The fossil was determined to be a fraud.
CNN

According to CNN, researchers say that a famous fossil has caused a scandal. The fossil was discovered in the Italian Alps in 1931 and was thought to be a Tridentinosaurus antiquus. Scientists believed that the dark outline and lizard-like body encased in rock was skin and soft tissue, but little did they know that they were in for a surprise.

Over the decades, the fossil was mentioned in books and article citations, but no one really looked at it up close. A new detailed analysis showed researchers that the black outline was not skin and soft tissue, and in fact was actually just black paint covering a couple of bones.

When the fossil was discovered, researchers thought that the fossil might provide a rare glimpse into reptilian evolution, according to CNN.  “The fossil was believed to be unique because there were no other examples from the same geographical area and geological period of that preservation in a fossil vertebrate at the time,” Dr. Valentina Rossi told CNN.

There were a couple of misconceptions about the specimen. The specimen lacked visible bones, including the skull, even though the body didn’t appear completely flat. “A plausible explanation was that the bones were hidden below the layer of skin and thus not visible,” Rossi said. “Coating fossils with varnish is an ancient method of preservation because, in the past, there were no other suitable methods to protect fossils from natural decay,” study co-author Mariagabriella Fornasiero told CNN.

The Tridentinosaurus antiquus proves that science opens up a world of truth. The discovery of this fossil’s actual status changes the game in archeology.