Nothing but Soccer

Alicia Steward © 2013

The seniors (from left) Alex Costabile, Zoe Lockwood, Sam Grayson, Alicia Steward, Heather Doern, Connor Pendleton, Kole Powell, and Austin Howard pause to take a photo during their soccer-filled weekend! The annual soccer camp is something that all of the students on both boys and girls soccer look forward to.

Carter Robinson, Sports Editor

The high school boys and girls soccer teams left school early to attend their annual soccer camp on Friday, Nov 8. Every year, the team members arrive to school early, pile into the school’s buses, and drive to Benson to spend their weekend in a soccer boot camp. There, they condition, practice, and scrimmage to ensure they are ready for the season.

For many students, this is a great opportunity to form bonds with their teammates. Senior Alicia Steward excitedly explained her favorite part about the camp: “I love the scrimmage between the boys’ and the girls’ teams, and also we go on a hike to the lake at night with both teams, and I love it.” There’s also the Talent Show on the last night of camp, and it has become one of the students’ favorite traditions.

The first girls’ game will be Tuesday, Nov. 19, against Mingus Union High School at Pecos Park. The first boys’ game will be Wednesday, Nov. 20 against South Mountain High School at Pecos Park.