My Fondest Farewell
My Fondest Farewell
Carsten Oyer, Editor-in-Chief • May 24, 2024

Five years ago I entered the computer lab here on campus for the first time. I was attending the class...

My Last Article
My Last Article
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • May 24, 2024

Dear Horizon Honors, In Journalism, farewell articles are reserved for those who have spent a significant...

Daniel Duggan is under suspicion of betraying the U.S.
Former U.S. Marine Arrested in Australia after Unknowingly Working with a Chinese Hacker
Joey Miller, Columnist • May 21, 2024

A former United States Marine pilot fighting extradition from Australia to the U.S. was charged with...

Mary Alice Pultz has been identified as a dead body found decades ago.
Authorities in Florida Identify Remains of Woman Last Seen 40 Years Ago
Ethan Fulton, Columnist • May 21, 2024

In 1985, human remains were found on a beach in St. Johns County, Florida. On May 12, police were able...

Israels actions in the Gaza Strip are worthy of being called genocidal.
Israel Has Chosen Criminality
Carsten Oyer, Editor-in-Chief • May 21, 2024

It would be disingenuous to say that the Oct. 7, 2023 terror attack on Israel sparked the current war...

The aurora borealis could be seen in Arizona recently.
Aurora Borealis Visible in Arizona
Eli Geist, Columnist • May 21, 2024

Many travel far north just to get a glimpse of the aurora borealis; however, recently the amazing spectacle...

Squad Busters is a new game from Supercell.
New Supercell Game: “Squad Busters”
Matthew Greco, Columnist • May 21, 2024

The popular mobile game company Supercell just announced a new game currently in development called “Squad...

So-Long to Silly Street Signs

United States highways may no longer be able to display humorous messages on digital road signs.
A holiday themed sign in Maine.
NBC News
A holiday themed sign in Maine.

Any individual who has rode through a highway in the United States has likely seen one of the changing message signs with orange lettering telling drivers to buckle-up, not speed, stop texting, or decline drinking and driving in fun and humorous ways. Unfortunately, those lines are no more, as the United States Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) has put a halt to state transportation departments displaying these messages.

AP News states that changes to a 1,100 page manual put out by the FHWA about highway regulation have caused the changeable message signs to change. The manual states that signs must be “simple, direct, brief, legible and clear.” The FHWA also stated that using quirky messages is deemed distracting and could be misinterpreted. Instead, the signs must be used to display weather warnings, traffic, and public alerts. Public reminders will still be shown, just without the jokes Americans have come to adore. States are required to implement these new regulations by 2026, meaning that the signs will be fully phased out by 2026.

However, only a day after these rules were received, the FHWA clarified these were just recommendations. 12 News reported that after heavy backlash, the FHWA put out a statement clarifying the rules. Part of the statement on the signs said “Rather, it includes a recommendation to avoid the use of humor and pop culture references in changeable message signs that may confuse or distract drivers.” While this is good news for drivers, it is still likely that the FHWA will be pressuring states to implement these recommendations on their own signs.

While the beloved signs may still stand, it acts as a reminder as to how the things we cherish, even if it’s a road sign, can be cast away in an instant.