An employee at the Target forensics lab in classic Target uniform.
The Target Forensics Lab
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 11, 2024

Target, just like many other retailers, has fallen victim to shoplifters, with almost a billion dollars...

Israeli protests stirred debate over Netanyahus position.
Israeli Citizens Demand a Ceasefire
Ethan Fulton, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Israeli citizens stormed central Jerusalem on Sunday, March 31 in the largest anti-government protest...

A cow.
Animals and People Across the Country Catch Bird Flu
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Across the United States, farm animals such as cows and chickens have been testing positive for a disease...

Ukrainian forces survey damage.
Republican Rep. Confident Ukraine Aid Will Make It to House Floor
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • April 5, 2024

Rep. Mike Lawler (R-NY) said in a recent CNN “State of the Union” interview that he was confident...

The finished product.
Blissful Brookies
Matthew Greco, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Cookies are amazing. You can put anything in them. Brownies are chocolatey goodness. They’re always...

Dan Schneider hugs a cast member.
Nickelodeon’s Dark Side
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Dan Schneider, director of many of the older Nickelodeon shows like “iCarly,” “The Amanda Show!,”...

There were three racers who did not finish the race.
Australian Grand Prix 2024 Summed Up
Matthew Greco, Columnist • March 28, 2024

The Australian Grand Prix which took place over two days has just come to a close. This article covers...

California Faces Severe Storms

An atmospheric river has caused heavy rain and flooding throughout southern California.
A California neighborhood after a mudslide.
AccuWeather

The whole state of California has been experiencing record high rainfall as a result of storms caused by an atmospheric river. These storms are causing flooding and mudslides, which pose a huge risk to the lives of residents of large cities like Los Angeles.

To know why the storms are happening, atmospheric rivers must be defined. Atmospheric rivers, as defined by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, are “relatively long, narrow regions in the atmosphere – like rivers in the sky – that transport most of the water vapor outside of the tropics.” CNN states that the atmospheric river that has found its way to California has brought far larger amounts of vapor than usual, causing the storms. The size of the river has also increased, meaning that the storms are going to last longer and stretch farther. As a result of the larger river, California has received a season’s-worth of rain in just two days. The size of the river has caused parts of the Salt River Valley in Arizona to be hit with rainfall as well.

One of the most deadly parts of the storm system is the mudslides that are happening as a result of the rain. AP News wrote that at least 475 different mudslides have struck California, causing many people to lose their homes and belongings. Many of the mudslides have been caused by the overly-saturated hillsides in California. When the hillsides get even a bit of rain, there is a risk of a mudslide. Along with the mudslides, over 400 large trees were taken out as a result of heavy winds, which have also ravaged much of California. Over 150,000 people were left without power because of the mudslides and fallen trees.

Record rainfall also caused life-threatening flooding throughout Los Angeles. The Weather Channel states that LA received 8.51 inches of rain between Sunday, Feb. 4 and Tuesday, Feb. 6. Some parts of California received upwards of 13.9 inches of rain. Unsurprisingly, flooding was an issue throughout many urban areas in California. Many rescues had to be made to save people from the floods. While many were rescued, others weren’t as lucky. Nine people were reported dead from the storms, with falling trees being the cause of the majority of deaths.

Time after time, the weather shows how deadly it really can  be. It will take a long time for those affected by the storm to rebuild, and it’s only a matter of time before another storm comes.