Shooting Hoops in the Summer: First JV Summer League Game

Horizon Honors playing Tempe Prep at their home court. Horizon Honors won the game, 14-12.

Photo courtesy of Kathy Kendree

Erica Kendree, Columnist

The JV and Varsity basketball teams have games throughout the month of June. On Monday, June 2, the JV girls team had their first game. They played at 5 p.m. at Tempe Preparatory Academy. The team didn’t know what to expect since these teams have different players for high school.

The game started with Horizon Honors’ possession resulting with a two point basket. Then Tempe Prep got the ball and then missed their first basket. The games started out slow but the girls picked up the pace in no time. Many players on both teams fell multiple times. Sophomore Sedona VanKirk, got a bloody lip and had to get taken out of the game for five minutes, while playing on the JV team. It was a very physical game, resulting in bruises and scratches.

Horizon Honors was up at halftime, 8-6. The second half was fast paced, with more baskets scored. Both teams seemed to pull it together and run more plays. As the time was dying down, the scores were getting closer and closer. Horizon Honors had been up the whole game but the space between the two scores was seeming to shrink. With one minute left, both teams were eager to get possession of the ball. Horizon Honors had the final possession of the game, preventing the other team from score in the little time left. The Eagles won an exciting game,14-12.