JV Volleyball Defeats Santa Cruz

The JV volleyball team defeats Santa Cruz in only two sets.

Photo Courtesy of Cooper Brown

Sophomore Tiana Oster smashes a jump serve during warm-ups. The Eagles pre-game routines are almost as entertaining as the game themselves.

Jake Matise, Sports Editor

On Wednesday, Sept. 24, at 4 p.m., the Horizon Honors’ JV volleyball team faced off against Santa Cruz Valley High in a makeup of the game that was cancelled on Sept. 8, due to the heavy rain during that week. The girls worked hard and were able to beat their opponents without having to go to the third set. The first set began competitively, but Horizon Honors claimed that set to earn the lead. Horizon easily won the second set as well.

The first set was action-packed, with both teams neck and neck on the scoreboard. Finally, the Eagles began to pull ahead, giving them a 13-8 lead over their opponents. The Eagles kept the pressure on, and were able to close out the set with a 25-14 victory. Freshman Roshi Patel had multiple aces in the set, and also slid to prevent the ball from hitting the ground and passed to a teammate to score.

Horizon Honors continued their dominance in the second set, scoring four consecutive points to get things started. Later, with the Eagles leading 9-2, the team scored seven unanswered points to expand their lead to 16-2. The blowout continued, and was capped off with the set ending at 25-8 in favor of Horizon Honors.

Roshi Patel shared her opinion of the game, as well as the Eagles’ key to victory over their opponents, “We came out, and we were pumped up for the game, and we ended up crushing that team. It was a good win.”  As for Horizon Honors’ key to success, Patel added, “Working together. And even though it was an easier team, not playing to their level [helped us to win].”

The Horizon Honors JV volleyball team claimed their fourth straight victory. The team currently has totaled a record of 6-1 this season, their only loss to Williams Field High School. The Eagles look to continue their winning ways in their next matchup at Arizona Lutheran Academy. Be sure to come out and support your Eagles at their next home game on Oct. 9, where they will face off against Tonopah Valley High School.